Royal Philips Electronics To Cut 2,200 More Jobs By 2014
September 11, 2012 11:26 PM EST
Royal Philips Electronics NV, the largest maker of lights, said Tuesday it plans to cut another 2,200 jobs by 2014 to save €300 million ($383 million) per year as economic conditions deteriorate.
Ahead of an investor event in London, Chief Executive Frans van Houten said in a statement that saving money will lessen "the effects of macro-economic headwinds and changes in pension cost accounting."
The Dutch electronics company didn't mention how many jobs would be eliminated from the Netherlands, which holds a national election on Wednesday, where job losses are among the main campaign issues.
Philips announced the first round of 4,500 job cuts will occur on Oct. 1, and 200 of them will be on home turf. Philips had 121,801 employees worldwide at the end of the second quarter, 14,000 of them in the Netherlands.
The additional savings announced Tuesday will bring total savings from the program to €1.1 billion, from its previous target of €800 million.
Van Houten, who took the helm at the Amsterdam-based company in April last year, has been forced to issue two profit warnings, reset financial targets, slash thousands of jobs and replace his entire top executive team, as weak consumer demand and austerity measures hurt sales in its consumer lifestyle and health care unit.
American depository receipts of Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV (NYSE: PHG) rose 1.04 percent in Tuesday's premarket trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How