Royal Philips Electronics To Cut 2,200 More Jobs By 2014
September 11, 2012 11:26 PM EST
Royal Philips Electronics NV, the largest maker of lights, said Tuesday it plans to cut another 2,200 jobs by 2014 to save €300 million ($383 million) per year as economic conditions deteriorate.
Ahead of an investor event in London, Chief Executive Frans van Houten said in a statement that saving money will lessen "the effects of macro-economic headwinds and changes in pension cost accounting."
The Dutch electronics company didn't mention how many jobs would be eliminated from the Netherlands, which holds a national election on Wednesday, where job losses are among the main campaign issues.
Philips announced the first round of 4,500 job cuts will occur on Oct. 1, and 200 of them will be on home turf. Philips had 121,801 employees worldwide at the end of the second quarter, 14,000 of them in the Netherlands.
The additional savings announced Tuesday will bring total savings from the program to €1.1 billion, from its previous target of €800 million.
Van Houten, who took the helm at the Amsterdam-based company in April last year, has been forced to issue two profit warnings, reset financial targets, slash thousands of jobs and replace his entire top executive team, as weak consumer demand and austerity measures hurt sales in its consumer lifestyle and health care unit.
American depository receipts of Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV (NYSE: PHG) rose 1.04 percent in Tuesday's premarket trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS