Royal Philips Electronics To Cut 2,200 More Jobs By 2014
September 11, 2012 11:26 PM EST
Royal Philips Electronics NV, the largest maker of lights, said Tuesday it plans to cut another 2,200 jobs by 2014 to save €300 million ($383 million) per year as economic conditions deteriorate.
Ahead of an investor event in London, Chief Executive Frans van Houten said in a statement that saving money will lessen "the effects of macro-economic headwinds and changes in pension cost accounting."
The Dutch electronics company didn't mention how many jobs would be eliminated from the Netherlands, which holds a national election on Wednesday, where job losses are among the main campaign issues.
Philips announced the first round of 4,500 job cuts will occur on Oct. 1, and 200 of them will be on home turf. Philips had 121,801 employees worldwide at the end of the second quarter, 14,000 of them in the Netherlands.
The additional savings announced Tuesday will bring total savings from the program to €1.1 billion, from its previous target of €800 million.
Van Houten, who took the helm at the Amsterdam-based company in April last year, has been forced to issue two profit warnings, reset financial targets, slash thousands of jobs and replace his entire top executive team, as weak consumer demand and austerity measures hurt sales in its consumer lifestyle and health care unit.
American depository receipts of Koninklijke Philips Electronics NV (NYSE: PHG) rose 1.04 percent in Tuesday's premarket trading.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal