Reem Acra Evokes Bad Biker Girl Vibe For Spring 2013 At New York Fashion Week
By Nadine DeNinno | September 11, 2012 10:58 PM EST
Evening gowns that evoke a sense of motorcycle-chic toughness? Reem Acra, the same designer that created some of the most elegant bridal gowns to date like the one LeAnn Rimes wore on her wedding day, made the impossible possible on Monday afternoon at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York.
Acra told IBTimes backstage before the show for spring 2013 that she was inspired by the work of New York-based artist Aaron Young in his motorcycle series, fusing the abstract prints and destructive nature with a collection of simple and modernly feminine evening gowns.
"It's about artwork, Aaron Young's artwork, with his motorcycle collection," Acra explained backstage before the show, showing some of her dresses. "You can see it in some of the dresses here, the laser cut. The print is from kind of a motorcycle."
Expertly placed laser cuts on the gowns were certainly conspicuous but by no means tawdry. In fact, the laser cuts paired with elegant colors of midnight navy and ivory with pops of vermilion, green and gold along with Acra's signature embellishment -- this time, hand-embroidered rope details and sequins -- on the simple silhouettes were the perfect juxtaposition Acra wanted: Good girl goes bad.
"She's an elegant woman who went bad for a moment and came back," Acra said. "She's powerful, she has the same attitude. It's springtime, so she wanted to be a little bit artsy. So she went with the ivory and kind of a bold print."
Each piece in the collection, especially the form-fitting dresses, did conjure up a bit of badness, especially the eye-catching cut-out panels, some of which were small, while others were entire backs or side. Those aforementioned dresses roused the question "Is she naked, or is she not?" in a way that is still elegant but brings that modernity Acra is channeling.
"She wanted to be a little bit more sexy, a little bit more daring," Acra explained, showing some of the cut-outs in her dresses. "But so modern this time, even more than last time. You will see a lot of modern attitude."
Perhaps it's because Acra is looking to widen her audience. Having began with a bridal collection before moving to ready-to-wear, Style.com wrote that Acra was "courting a younger crowd the past few seasons." And it's working: Isla Fisher most recently donned a Reem Acra from her resort 2013 collection to the premiere of "Bachelorette" in Los Angeles.
But that's not all. Acra is on the heels of having her first eponymous fragrance released at Saks Fifth Avenue drawn from inspirations from her life.
"It's real. A true story," Acra said of the perfume, which goes on sale in October.
When asked what else she has in store, namely if she'd ever consider a diffusion label, the humble Reem Acra graciously responded that she is up for anything her future has in store,
"It's what the opportunity is going to bring to me," Acra said. "And right now, it's one step at a time. You know I'm only 15 years in business, so there's a lot coming, I hope."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kim Kardashian Allegedly Snubs Vogue Editor Anna Wintour in her Game Kim Kardashian Hollywood
- Hot German Model Andre Hamann Serenades Birthday Girl Selena with Kings of Leon Song
- Kate Middleton Wears Green Tea Dress To Celebrate Prince George's Birthday: Where To Get The Dress
- Justin Bieber Diss to Selena Gomez on Her Birthday, Posts Another Model's Pic
- Kendall Jenner Nude and Topless for Magazine Cover, Harry Styles Ex is Crazy About Modelling
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June