German Keeper Interests Liverpool after Reina Struggles – Report
By Adrian Back | September 10, 2012 9:57 PM EST
Liverpool are believed to be interested in Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Mar-Andre ter Stegen after a poor start to the season for Pepe Reina.
Reina, Liverpool's first-choice goalkeeper, has been struggling for form with a number of high-profile errors which have led to goals in recent weeks.
Reina has come in for criticism for his performances against Manchester City and Arsenal, while a dreadful mistake against Hearts left Liverpool requiring a late goal from Luis Saurez to confirm their place in the Europa League.
The Metro is reporting that manager Brendan Rodgers is concerned with the form of the Spain international and has identified ter Stergen as a possible January transfer target.
The 20-year-old has progressed through the youth system at Borussia Monchengladbach to become the first-choice keeper and received plenty of praise for his performances last season as the side finished fourth in the league.
Ter Stergen's displays did not go unnoticed by Germany manager Joachim Loew who handed the keeper his international debut against Switzerland earlier this year.
According to the report in the Metro, Rodgers has identified the keeper as a possible January signing and has now asked his scouts to compile a detailed dossier on the youngster.
Rodgers is believed to be concerned about the form of Reina and wants extra competition at the club as he is unsure about the reserve duo Brad Jones and Alexander Doni.
Both keepers made mistakes last season when asked to deputise for Reina and it seems Rodgers would prefer to bring another stopper to the club in January.
Rodgers was fortunate last season to not have to worry about his number one as Michael Vorm won plaudits for his performances as he adapted to life in the Premier League with ease.
Should another keeper arrive in January then it would still be a major decision to drop Reina, who has been a near ever-present since arriving at the club back in the summer of 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef