German Keeper Interests Liverpool after Reina Struggles – Report
By Adrian Back | September 10, 2012 9:57 PM EST
Liverpool are believed to be interested in Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Mar-Andre ter Stegen after a poor start to the season for Pepe Reina.
Reina, Liverpool's first-choice goalkeeper, has been struggling for form with a number of high-profile errors which have led to goals in recent weeks.
Reina has come in for criticism for his performances against Manchester City and Arsenal, while a dreadful mistake against Hearts left Liverpool requiring a late goal from Luis Saurez to confirm their place in the Europa League.
The Metro is reporting that manager Brendan Rodgers is concerned with the form of the Spain international and has identified ter Stergen as a possible January transfer target.
The 20-year-old has progressed through the youth system at Borussia Monchengladbach to become the first-choice keeper and received plenty of praise for his performances last season as the side finished fourth in the league.
Ter Stergen's displays did not go unnoticed by Germany manager Joachim Loew who handed the keeper his international debut against Switzerland earlier this year.
According to the report in the Metro, Rodgers has identified the keeper as a possible January signing and has now asked his scouts to compile a detailed dossier on the youngster.
Rodgers is believed to be concerned about the form of Reina and wants extra competition at the club as he is unsure about the reserve duo Brad Jones and Alexander Doni.
Both keepers made mistakes last season when asked to deputise for Reina and it seems Rodgers would prefer to bring another stopper to the club in January.
Rodgers was fortunate last season to not have to worry about his number one as Michael Vorm won plaudits for his performances as he adapted to life in the Premier League with ease.
Should another keeper arrive in January then it would still be a major decision to drop Reina, who has been a near ever-present since arriving at the club back in the summer of 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym