German Keeper Interests Liverpool after Reina Struggles – Report
By Adrian Back | September 10, 2012 9:57 PM EST
Liverpool are believed to be interested in Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Mar-Andre ter Stegen after a poor start to the season for Pepe Reina.
Reina, Liverpool's first-choice goalkeeper, has been struggling for form with a number of high-profile errors which have led to goals in recent weeks.
Reina has come in for criticism for his performances against Manchester City and Arsenal, while a dreadful mistake against Hearts left Liverpool requiring a late goal from Luis Saurez to confirm their place in the Europa League.
The Metro is reporting that manager Brendan Rodgers is concerned with the form of the Spain international and has identified ter Stergen as a possible January transfer target.
The 20-year-old has progressed through the youth system at Borussia Monchengladbach to become the first-choice keeper and received plenty of praise for his performances last season as the side finished fourth in the league.
Ter Stergen's displays did not go unnoticed by Germany manager Joachim Loew who handed the keeper his international debut against Switzerland earlier this year.
According to the report in the Metro, Rodgers has identified the keeper as a possible January signing and has now asked his scouts to compile a detailed dossier on the youngster.
Rodgers is believed to be concerned about the form of Reina and wants extra competition at the club as he is unsure about the reserve duo Brad Jones and Alexander Doni.
Both keepers made mistakes last season when asked to deputise for Reina and it seems Rodgers would prefer to bring another stopper to the club in January.
Rodgers was fortunate last season to not have to worry about his number one as Michael Vorm won plaudits for his performances as he adapted to life in the Premier League with ease.
Should another keeper arrive in January then it would still be a major decision to drop Reina, who has been a near ever-present since arriving at the club back in the summer of 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU