German Keeper Interests Liverpool after Reina Struggles – Report
By Adrian Back | September 10, 2012 9:57 PM EST
Liverpool are believed to be interested in Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Mar-Andre ter Stegen after a poor start to the season for Pepe Reina.
Reina, Liverpool's first-choice goalkeeper, has been struggling for form with a number of high-profile errors which have led to goals in recent weeks.
Reina has come in for criticism for his performances against Manchester City and Arsenal, while a dreadful mistake against Hearts left Liverpool requiring a late goal from Luis Saurez to confirm their place in the Europa League.
The Metro is reporting that manager Brendan Rodgers is concerned with the form of the Spain international and has identified ter Stergen as a possible January transfer target.
The 20-year-old has progressed through the youth system at Borussia Monchengladbach to become the first-choice keeper and received plenty of praise for his performances last season as the side finished fourth in the league.
Ter Stergen's displays did not go unnoticed by Germany manager Joachim Loew who handed the keeper his international debut against Switzerland earlier this year.
According to the report in the Metro, Rodgers has identified the keeper as a possible January signing and has now asked his scouts to compile a detailed dossier on the youngster.
Rodgers is believed to be concerned about the form of Reina and wants extra competition at the club as he is unsure about the reserve duo Brad Jones and Alexander Doni.
Both keepers made mistakes last season when asked to deputise for Reina and it seems Rodgers would prefer to bring another stopper to the club in January.
Rodgers was fortunate last season to not have to worry about his number one as Michael Vorm won plaudits for his performances as he adapted to life in the Premier League with ease.
Should another keeper arrive in January then it would still be a major decision to drop Reina, who has been a near ever-present since arriving at the club back in the summer of 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown