German Keeper Interests Liverpool after Reina Struggles – Report
By Adrian Back | September 10, 2012 9:57 PM EST
Liverpool are believed to be interested in Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Mar-Andre ter Stegen after a poor start to the season for Pepe Reina.
Reina, Liverpool's first-choice goalkeeper, has been struggling for form with a number of high-profile errors which have led to goals in recent weeks.
Reina has come in for criticism for his performances against Manchester City and Arsenal, while a dreadful mistake against Hearts left Liverpool requiring a late goal from Luis Saurez to confirm their place in the Europa League.
The Metro is reporting that manager Brendan Rodgers is concerned with the form of the Spain international and has identified ter Stergen as a possible January transfer target.
The 20-year-old has progressed through the youth system at Borussia Monchengladbach to become the first-choice keeper and received plenty of praise for his performances last season as the side finished fourth in the league.
Ter Stergen's displays did not go unnoticed by Germany manager Joachim Loew who handed the keeper his international debut against Switzerland earlier this year.
According to the report in the Metro, Rodgers has identified the keeper as a possible January signing and has now asked his scouts to compile a detailed dossier on the youngster.
Rodgers is believed to be concerned about the form of Reina and wants extra competition at the club as he is unsure about the reserve duo Brad Jones and Alexander Doni.
Both keepers made mistakes last season when asked to deputise for Reina and it seems Rodgers would prefer to bring another stopper to the club in January.
Rodgers was fortunate last season to not have to worry about his number one as Michael Vorm won plaudits for his performances as he adapted to life in the Premier League with ease.
Should another keeper arrive in January then it would still be a major decision to drop Reina, who has been a near ever-present since arriving at the club back in the summer of 2005.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James