US Open 2012 Men's Final: Andy Murray v Novak Djokovic, Where to Watch Live and Preview
By Vishnuprasad S | September 10, 2012 7:03 PM EST
Defending champion Novak Djokovic takes on Olympic gold medallist Andy Murray at the Arthur Ashe Stadium to decide the 2012 US Open men's singles champion. The Serb is looking to win his sixth career Grand Slam title, while the British number one continues the pursuit for his first.
The Scot has appeared in four previous major finals and lost - an Open era record he shares only with coach Ivan Lendl. But the Czech did triumph on his fifth attempt and Murray will be hoping to do the same.
Where to Watch Live:
You can follow the final live, from 9 pm BST on Sky Sports 2 and Sky Sports HD 2. You can also catch all the scores and updates, in real time, from the tournament's official Web site. Full build-up and live commentary are available on BBC Radio 5 Live from 8 pm BST, while there will be live text commentary on the BBC Sport Web site.
Djokovic is one of the game's best retrievers and therefore Murray's offensive game will have to be close to perfect if he is to overcome the world number two. The Brit himself is also a good counter-puncher and the third seed's defence has been as good as anyone's in this tournament. Hence both players will be happy to soak up any pressure before thinking about putting a winner past the opponent.
The Serb currently leads the ATP Head 2 Head Series 8-6 but Murray triumphed over Djokovic with a straight sets victory in their most recent meeting - the London Olympics 2012 semi final. The pair has a history of producing some thrilling encounters on big stages and there is every chance that this will be the case again in the final, under the floodlights of the Ashe Stadium.
Djokovic has been imperious so far, dropping only one set on his way to a third consecutive US Open final and is also on a 27-match winning streak in hard-court Grand Slams. Murray, on the other hand, had three four-set matches in his journey to the decider and encountered some tough times, especially against Marin Cilic and Tomas Berdych. At 25, both players are in their prime and have enjoyed major successes this year (Djokovic at the Australian Open and Murray at the Olympics).
US Open History:
This is Djokovic's fourth final at the Flushing Meadows and the Serb triumphed last year, beating defending champion Rafael Nadal in four sets. Meanwhile, it is the second time that Murray is featuring in the US Open final - the Scot lost in straight sets to Roger Federer back in 2008.
For the fifth consecutive year the men's final at the US Open will be played on a Monday. The match had originally been scheduled to take place on 9 September but a tornado warning in New York City saw the Djokovic-David Ferrer semi final being postponed to that date. This is also the first Grand Slam final where the second seed and third seed will square off in the decider, since Wimbledon 1995 when Pete Sampras faced Boris Becker.
Prediction: Murray in Four Sets
Murray is all set to become the first Brit to lift a major trophy since Fred Perry in 1936. Expect a four-set thriller that will see the Scot dethrone the defending champion to clinch his first ever Grand Slam.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones