BHP Billiton No Longer Interested to Purchase Exploration Rights Near Olympic Dam – Tasman
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 10, 2012 4:05 PM EST
After its earth-shaking announcement in August that it is scraping its $30 billion expansion plans into the Olympic Dam copper and uranium mine mega project in South Australia, BHP Billiton has consequently dropped related purchases of exploration rights surrounding the area of the dam.
Junior explorer Tasman Resources Ltd. on Monday told shareholders the global mining giant has extended a notice stating it is withdrawing from the two conditional contracts that would have paved the way to acquire six exploration tenements in the Stuart Shelf region of South Australia.
First announced in June 2012, the five exploration licences and one licence application for the Stuart Shelf region, which hosts the Olympic Dam deposit, cost $3 million. It involves 1,176 square kilometres west, north and northeast of the Olympic Dam copper and uranium mine project.
"After further reviewing our completed tenement acquisitions in the Stuart Shelf combined with the recent grant of some additional exploration license applications, the company is satisfied with its existing exploration options in the region and chose not to proceed with the purchase of Tasman's tenements," The Australian quoted an unidentified BHP spokesman as saying.
"This decision is independent of Olympic Dam's future development path."
In June, BHP Billiton said the purchases of the six exploration tenements was part of its long-term development plans and strategy, noting it believed there are potential for additional iron oxide, copper, gold discoveries in the Stuart Shelf region.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports