Nokia introduced the new phones in the Lumia range last week and some of its features promises strong competition to Apple's iPhone 5.
The new Lumia phones were popularly known by the codenames of "Arrow" and "Phi" before. The new additions are the Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 smartphones powered by Windows Phone 8.
The Lumia 920 is the star of the launch with its 4.5 inch display screen, dual-core 1.5Ghz processor, wireless charging and PureView branding, similar to the previously announced - but never released in Australia - PureView 808.
According to Nokia, the Lumia 920 features a floating camera lens that is designed to provide better image stabilization for both photos and video, it can record full HD video in 1080p. Below are some of the great features of the two new phones from the Finnish mobile manufacturer.
1. PureView Camera - The new Lumia 920 is the first Windows Phone that will feature Nokia's PureView camera technology. Nokia claimed that the smartphone has 'real' optical image stabilization using 'floating optics' that minimises blur due to camera shake. The 8MP camera takes sharp images even in low light thanks to Carl Zeiss optics, a backlit image sensor, bright f2.0 aperture and using proprietary image processing algorithms.
2. Superb Smart Design - The two new smartphones from Nokia feature ergonomics and a polycarbonate body. The buttons and rear camera module are made from scratch proof ceramic with the micro-SIM slot on top along with a 3.5mm port.
3. PureMotion HD+ Screen Display - The new Lumia 920 sports a 4.5-inch IPS touchscreen screen display, which has a resolution of 1280 x 768 pixels. The screen automatically adjusts screen brightness according to ambient light.
4. OLED Display - If the Lumia 920 uses HD+ technology, the Lumia 820 features 4.3-inch OLED display with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels.
5. Expandable Storage - The Lumia 820 first Windows phone that utilizes Windows Phone 8's expandable storage support. It has a microSD card slot that supports up to 32GB cards.
6. Colorful and Interchangeable Cases - One of the great features of the two phones is they offer cool designs and are available in different colors that may suit the preference and lifestyle of users.
7. Windows Phone 8 OS - One of the things that set apart Nokia from other smartphones is its operating system. The two new smartphones are supported by Windows Phone 8. The OS now supports multicore processors, external storage and higher resolution displays. It also has improved background multi-tasking and enhanced security features.
8. Top Hardware Specs - The two new phones of Nokia is packed with great hardware specs, which includes dual core Snapdragon S4 1.5Ghz processor with 1GB RAM and Adreno 225 GPU powers both the Nokia Lumia 920 and Lumia 820. They also have 3G, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, NFC and Bluetooth.
While the Lumia 920 comes with a 2,000 mAh battery, 32GB storage and USB on-the-go support, the Lumia 820 has a smaller (removable) 1,650 mAh battery and 8GB (expandable) storage. Both phones feature a rear 8 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics.
9. Wireless Charging - Both new Lumia devices support wireless charging. The Lumia 920 has built in apparatus to support this. However, the Lumia 820 needs an optional case.
10. Price and Availability - Finnish mobile company Nokia has no word yet on the exact date when the two new phones will be available for grabs. However, it is speculated that the two new handsets will be one of the many gadgets that will arrived later this year just in time of the holidays.
To contact the editor, e-mail: