Isiah Thomas, James Dolan Meet to Discuss MSG Job?
By Greg Price | September 9, 2012 1:22 AM EST
The two met in New York's Mandarin Hotel and they could have been discussing a new position as Madison Square Garden sports president Scott O'Neil resigned earlier this week.
Thomas was "reassigned" rather than fired in 2008, and he and Dolan have remained friends. Some have speculated Thomas is still a confidant to Dolan, and that he even stepped in to help the Knicks failed recruitment of LeBron James in the summer of 2010.
As team coach from 2006-2008 Thomas posted a .341 winning percentage, which was fifth worst all-time for a Knicks coach. He was team president from 2003 to 2006 before taking over as head coach.
Some NBA insiders question Dolan's reasoning in reuniting with Thomas consider his struggles with the organization. When Thomas was coach, there were chants of "Fire Isiah" at Madison Square Garden.
Some of the Knicks' highlights during Thomas's tenure include questionable free agent signings, high-priced trades that put New York over the luxury tax, and a sexual harassment lawsuit that forced the team to shell out more than $11 million to a former executive.
Thomas's links to the Knicks run deeper than Dolan. Head coach Mike Woodson and general manager Glen Grunwald were teammates with Thomas on Indiana University's 1981 National Championship team, and The Post reported Woodson might be considering Thomas for a coaching consultant position.
The former Detroit Pistons All-Star and Hall-of-Fame point guard was fired from Florida International in April after three disappointing seasons at the helm. While there, Dolan reportedly hired Thomas as a consultant, but NBA commissioner David Stern ruled it was improper due to Thomas's standing as a college head coach.
Before he joined the Knicks, Thomas coached the Indiana Pacers to three straight playoff appearances from 2000-2003, but each time they were eliminated in the first round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan