US Open Tennis 2012: Watch Live Stream Online of Murray vs. Berdych, Djokovic vs. Ferrer; Prediction, Preview
By Jason Le Miere | September 9, 2012 12:41 AM EST
When and where: Weather permitting, the men's semifinals at the US Open are scheduled to get underway at 11 a.m. ET. Coverage will be provided by CBS, with a free live stream available on USOpen.org.
Preview: With Rafael Nadal having never even travelled to New York through injury and Roger Federer already eliminated, Andy Murray has been given a golden opportunity to make his second US Open final. Yet standing in his path is a man that displayed his full range of ferocious groundstrokes to defeat World No.1 Federer. Perhaps more pertinently Tomas Berdych also holds a 4-2 head-to-head record over the Scot.
Murray arrived in Flushing Meadows following a sensational summer. At Wimbledon he reached his fourth Grand Slam final--and finally won a set--before claiming Olympic gold on the same All-England-Club courts. All indications seemed to be that, under the tutelage of steely coach Ivan Lendl, Murray had put aside the mental vulnerabilities that had for so long hampered his performances on the biggest occasion.
But some of the old problems have returned over these two weeks. Murray struggled during his third round against Feliciano Lopez, demonstrating his full range of frustration to his opponent as he muttered under his breath and looked distastefully at his box. Things were even more precarious against Marin Cilic, where Murray started with little energy and was on the verge of a two-set deficit before springing into life.
A similar performance will see him on the way home, if Berdych plays that level he showed in a thrilling win over Federer.
The sixth seed has long had the talent to regularly mix it with the very best, but has failed to produce the goods on a consistent basis. Still there have been plenty of flashes, such as his run to the final of Wimbledon two years ago.
Berdych will need to show the same mental toughness that was present to halt the comeback of Federer in the quarterfinals. But, if he does, then his onslaught of groundstrokes could well be enough to get the better of Murray, who doesn't appear in the right frame of mind to claim a maiden Grand Slam.
While Berdych and Murray could well go the distance, the day's other semifinal looks set to be a more one-sided affair. David Ferrer has once again rightly earned plaudits for his run to a second US Open semifinal, but it is hard to see how he can hurt defending champion Novak Djokovic.
Ferrer showed all his courageous battling qualities to defeat Janko Tipsarevic in an epic last eight matchup via a final-set tiebreak. While the fourth seed is phenomenally fit, even he must have some heaviness in his legs playing just two days after that incredible match.
By contrast, Djokovic's path has been serene. Having cruised past the first four rounds, the second seed received his first test in a quarterfinal with Juan Martin Del Potro but still came out of it with his record of not yet losing a set intact.
Djokovic shares the phenomenal defensive capabilities of his Spanish opponent, but his far greater weaponry means that he should continue his straight-set winning streak into the final.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares