Australia Ranks 8th Best Users of Internet, Sweden 1st – Global Web Index
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 6, 2012 2:00 PM EST
A new global Web index launched by Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, has found that Australian ranked eighth best in utilising the Internet to improve people's lives, both socially and politically. Sweden ranked first, followed by the U.S. in second and the UK in third.
In the new global survey, 61 countries were checked and ranked by the Sir Tim Berners-Lee World Wide Web Foundation, so-named after the legendary computer scientist and Web inventor, based on usage and impact of the Web using data from the past five years.
Each nation was scored based on seven categories, including communication infrastructure, institutional infrastructure, Web content, Web use, political impact, economic impact, and social impact.
Apart from Sweden, the U.S. and the UK, Canada and Finland completed the top five. Joining Australia from sixth to tenth were Switzerland, New Zealand, Norway and Ireland, respectively.
"By shining a light on the barriers to Web for everyone, the index is a powerful tool that will empower individuals, government and organisations to improve their societies," Mr Berners-Lee told the BBC, noting that 30 per cent of countries were found to be facing moderate to severe government restrictions on Web site access.
"The Web is a global conversation. Growing suppression of free speech, both online and offline, is possibly the single biggest challenge to the future of the Web," Mr Berner-Lee added.
The top 10 nations in the index were filled out by wealthier democracies with passable technological infrastructure. They also have fewer restrictions on access to the net and all more or less speak English.
The top 10 countries on the global web index:
2. United States
7. New Zealand
The bottom 10:
59. Burkina Faso
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS