Australia Ranks 8th Best Users of Internet, Sweden 1st – Global Web Index
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 6, 2012 2:00 PM EST
A new global Web index launched by Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, has found that Australian ranked eighth best in utilising the Internet to improve people's lives, both socially and politically. Sweden ranked first, followed by the U.S. in second and the UK in third.
In the new global survey, 61 countries were checked and ranked by the Sir Tim Berners-Lee World Wide Web Foundation, so-named after the legendary computer scientist and Web inventor, based on usage and impact of the Web using data from the past five years.
Each nation was scored based on seven categories, including communication infrastructure, institutional infrastructure, Web content, Web use, political impact, economic impact, and social impact.
Apart from Sweden, the U.S. and the UK, Canada and Finland completed the top five. Joining Australia from sixth to tenth were Switzerland, New Zealand, Norway and Ireland, respectively.
"By shining a light on the barriers to Web for everyone, the index is a powerful tool that will empower individuals, government and organisations to improve their societies," Mr Berners-Lee told the BBC, noting that 30 per cent of countries were found to be facing moderate to severe government restrictions on Web site access.
"The Web is a global conversation. Growing suppression of free speech, both online and offline, is possibly the single biggest challenge to the future of the Web," Mr Berner-Lee added.
The top 10 nations in the index were filled out by wealthier democracies with passable technological infrastructure. They also have fewer restrictions on access to the net and all more or less speak English.
The top 10 countries on the global web index:
2. United States
7. New Zealand
The bottom 10:
59. Burkina Faso
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Russia Invades Ukraine, Pro-Russian Rebels Create 'Second Front,' Obama Maintains No Military Action from US
- TEPCO Loses in Fukushima Suicide Case, Ordered to Pay $472,000 to Family
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine