As expected, rain wreaked havoc on scheduled play for the ninth day at the 2012 US Open, with only two of the six singles matches completed.
Day Nine Round-Up:
Fourth seed David Ferrer of Spain progressed to the men's quarter finals following a 7-5, 7-6, 6-4 victory over 13th seed Richard Gasquet of France. Meanwhile, world number one Victoria Azarenka of Belarus entered the women's semi finals by knocking out defending champion Samantha Stosur of Australia 6-1, 4-6, 7-6.
The second women's quarter final, between third seed Maria Sharapova of Russia and 11th seed Marion Bartoli of France, was postponed after Bartoli, using her power and precision, raced to a 4-0 lead in the first set, only to be made to wait by the rain. Local boy Andy Roddick and seventh seed Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina played less than an hour before their match too was suspended as the first set tie-break began.
In other matches that will resume on Day 10, world number one Novak Djokovic of Serbia leads 18th seed Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland 2-0, while his compatriot and eighth seed Janko Tipsarevic has taken a lead 5-2 over a tired looking 19th seed Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany.
Day 10 Preview (All Times BST):
- Andy Murray (GBR) v Marin Cilic (CRO) (around 8 pm, Arthur Ashe Stadium)
The British number one is expected on court on Day 10 to begin his last-four clash with Marin Cilic. Though he stands at 6ft 6in, the Croatian prefers to stay at the baseline and look to work his groundstrokes. His serve should be something Murray looks to attack. The Scot is growing into form and erratic early round performances aside, was in top form against 15th seed Milos Raonic of Canada in the fourth round.
- Serena Williams (USA) v Ana Ivanovic (SRB) (midnight, Arthur Ashe Stadium)
Third seed Serena, the Wimbledon and Olympic champion, produced a ruthless display of her title credentials by defeating Andrea Hlavackova of the Czech Republic 6-0, 6-0 to reach her 10th US Open quarter final. Ivanovic, on the other hand, has done well to make her first Grand Slam last eight in four years but the Serbian has had relatively easy competition so far. She is striking the ball well, especially the forehand but Serena's speed and power will surely keep the former world number one on the back foot.
- Roger Federer (SUI) v Tomas Berdych (CZE) (second night match, Arthur Ashe Stadium):
When Berdych beat Federer at Wimbledon 2010 he produced relentless aggression. The Czech served big and he did not step back when the world number one created chances to break. Federer is full of confidence at the moment after clinching his seventh Wimbledon title and has cruised through the early rounds of this tournament. Due to local boy Mardy Fish's withdrawal due to injury, the Swiss master has not played since the weekend, giving him over three days' rest. Berdych needs to be at his best once more if he has any chance of making this one a close fight.
The postponed games mean a packed day of play on Day 10, where once again rain is expected throughout. Four crucial singles matches will resume midway through the first set. For details on these four matches you can read IBTimes UK's Day Nine preview here.
- Maria Sharapova (RUS) v Marion Bartoli (FRA) quarter finals, to finish 0-4 (4 pm, Arthur Ashe Stadium)
- Novak Djokovic (SRB) v Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) fourth round, to finish 2-0 (not before 5.30 pm, Louis Armstrong Stadium)
- Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) v Andy Roddick (USA) fourth round, to finish 6-6 (not before 5.30 pm, Arthur Ashe Stadium)
- Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) v Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) fourth round, to finish 5-2 (not before 5.30 pm, Grandstand)
Where to Watch Live
You can follow all the action live, from 4 pm on Sky Sports 2 and Sky Sports HD 2. You can also catch all the scores and updates, in real time, from the tournament's official Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Australia Bids Adieu to Adam Spencer's Mornings on ABC's "702 Breakfast" Show [PHOTOS]
- SEE PHOTOS! Eva Longoria Wears No Panties at Cannes 2013, Revealed in Embarrassing Wardrobe Malfunction [SLIDESHOW]
- Top 10 Hottest Celebrities with Shocking Weight Loss (And Find Out Their Secrets!) [PHOTOS]
- Demi Lovato Snapped Getting Flirty with The X-Factor Boss, Simon Cowell? [PHOTOS]