London 2012 Paralympics Day Seven: Road Cycling, Wheelchair Rugby, Football 7-a-Side, Where to Watch Live
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 5, 2012 6:09 PM EST
The London 2012 Paralympics approaches the end of its first week with the hosts comfortably placed second in the medals table. Great Britain have 23 gold, 30 silver and 26 bronze. The leaders, China, have 53 gold, 39 silver and 40 bronze.
Day Six Round-Up:
Archery: Great Britain's Danielle Brown won gold in the women's individual compound open final, beating compatriot Mel Clarke by a score of 6-4.
Athletics: Britain's David Weir won gold in the men's 1500m (T54) with a time of 3.12:09s. Paul Blake collected silver in the 400m (T36) final after finishing in 54.22s; a Personal Best. Meanwhile, Team GB's women claimed bronze in the 4x100m (T35/T38) after finishing behind Russia and China. David Devine secured another bronze for Team GB in the men's 1500m (T13) after completing the race in 3.49:79s; a Regional Record.
Boccia: Team GB's David Smith, Dan Bentley, Nigel Murray and Zoe Robinson (the defending champions), won bronze after defeating Portugal 7-5 in the Mixed Team - BC1-2 event.
Equestrian Dressage: Britain's Sophie Christiansen, riding her horse Janeiro 6, collected gold in the Individual Freestyle Test - Grade Ia, with a score of 84.750, beating out Singapore's Laurentia Tan and Ireland's Helen Kearney. Deborah Criddle and Sophie Wells of Great Britain claimed silver medals in the Freestyle Dressage Test - Grade III and the Individual Freestyle Test - Grade IV, respectively.
Shooting: Team GB's Matt Skelhon claimed bronze in the mixed R6-50m Rifle prone SH1.
Swimming: Heather Frederiksen won gold in the women's 100m backstroke S8, successfully defending her title with a time of 1.17:00s. Stephanie Millward won silver in the women's 400m freestyle S9 with a time of 4.40:01s; an European Record. Matt Walker collected bronze in the men's 50m freestyle S7 with a time of 28.47s. Ellie Simmonds and Ollie Hynd also claimed bronze medals - in the women's 50m freestyle and the men's 100m backstroke S8 respectively.
Day Seven Preview (All Times BST):
Athletics: South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius (the defending champion) will be in action in the heats for the men's 100m (T44) event at 7.01 pm. Competing alongside Pistorius in the heats will be Great Britain's Jonnie Peacock, who has a faster time this season than the Blade Runner. Pistorius will also be in action for the men's 4x100m relay, starting at 10.07 pm. Britain's David Devine will be competing for gold medal in the men's 800m (T12) at 7.35 pm. Team GB's Sally Brown will be competing for gold in the women's 100m T46 at 9.17 pm.
Swimming: Brothers Ollie and Sam Hynd will be competing against each other in the heats for the men's 200m Individual Medley, with compatriot Thomas Young also in the fray. The preliminaries are set for 9.30 am and the final for 5.30 pm. Meanwhile, Team GB's Louise Watkin will go up against South African Natalie du Toit (a Paralympics swimming legend with seven gold medals in the 2004 Commonwealth Games and 11 more gold medals between the 2004 Athens, 2008 Beijing and now the 2012 London Paralympic Games) in the women's 50m Freestyle (S9) heats at 11.40 am. The final is scheduled for 8.30 pm. Great Britain's Liz Johnson will also be in action - the women's 100m breaststroke (SB6) event. Johnson, the defending champion, will being heats at 11.12 am and the final is scheduled for 7.31 pm. Charlotte Henshaw will also be in the event.
Cycling (Road): The inspiring Alessandro Zanardi of Italy (a former Formula 1 driver who lost both his legs while racing in the US' CART series in 2001), will be in action in the men's Individual H4 Time Trial, at 3.10 pm, around the Brands Hatch circuit. Great Britain's Jon-Allan Butterworth will also be in action, in the men's Individual C5 Time Trial at 11 am and Sarah Storey and Crystal Lane will take part in the women's event at 12.02 am.
Wheelchair Tennis (Men's): Team GB's Peter 'The Quadfather' Norfolk and Andy Lapthorne will be competing for gold against USA's David Wagner and Nicholas Taylor in the Quad Doubles final (time to be confirmed). Meanwhile, Great Britain's Marc McCarroll and Gordon Reid will be up against Frederic Cattaneo and Nicolas Peifer of France in the men's doubles quarter final (time to be confirmed).
Wheelchair Rugby (men's): Great Britain will take on the defending champions and World No 1, the Americans, at 2 pm. Here are the rest of the fixtures:
Sitting Volleyball (Men's): Great Britain will face Iran in the quarter final, at 9 pm. Here are the other fixtures:
- Russia v Brazil (11 am)
- Egypt v Bosnia & Herzegovina (2 pm)
Football 7-a-side (Men's): Great Britain will be up against the United States at 4.15 pm in the preliminary stages of the competition. Here are the other fixtures:
- Argentina v Holland (11:15am)
- Brazil v Ukraine (2:00pm)
Goalball (Women's): Great Britain will face Sweden in the quarter final, scheduled for 12.45 pm. Here are the other fixtures:
China v USA (9 am)
Japan v Brazil (10.30 am)
Canada v Finland (2.15 am)
Where to Watch Live:
You can follow all the action live on Channel 4, More 4 and on Channel4.com. BBC Radio 5Live and Radio 5Live Sports extra will provide radio commentary.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools