South Africa: Four Shot at Goldmine Part-Owned by Nelson Mandela's Grandson [VIDEO]
By Dominic Gover | September 4, 2012 1:07 AM EST
At least four miners have been shot in fresh violence at a goldmine near Johannesburg.
The mine is part-owned by Zondwa Mandela, grandson of anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.
Early reports said security guards opened fire with rubber bullets at striking miners who were protesting over pay, and four miners were injured.
Police made four arrests, according to a spokesman.
The latest outbreak of violence comes two weeks after 34 miners were shot dead by police at a platinum mine northwest of Johannesburg.
After the mass shooting at the Lonmin mine, he accused Zuma of presiding over a "massacre of the people of South Africa".
"How can he call on people to mourn those he has killed? He must step down," he said.
The authorities came in for heavy criticism of their handling of the shooting and its aftermath. Up to 270 miners were arrested and initially charged with murder after police opened fire on workers at Lonmin PLC's platinum mine.
The charges were brought under an apartheid-era collective responsibility law termed the "common purpose doctrine".
It was designed to silence dissent among the black population by making whole groups responsible for the actions of individuals.
He has been captured on film singing a violent folk song at a rally which extorted people to "kill the Boer" - white South Africans. See here:
Miners who earn about £400 a month should down tools until their salary is doubled, he has insisted.
Wildcat strikes have broken out in recent weeks and have hit production at gold aluminium mines.
Also fuelling unrest has been competition between rival mining unions for members.
The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union has scooped up many members of the National Union of Mineworkers, the country's largest union.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October