South Africa: Four Shot at Goldmine Part-Owned by Nelson Mandela's Grandson [VIDEO]
By Dominic Gover | September 4, 2012 1:07 AM EST
At least four miners have been shot in fresh violence at a goldmine near Johannesburg.
The mine is part-owned by Zondwa Mandela, grandson of anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.
Early reports said security guards opened fire with rubber bullets at striking miners who were protesting over pay, and four miners were injured.
Police made four arrests, according to a spokesman.
The latest outbreak of violence comes two weeks after 34 miners were shot dead by police at a platinum mine northwest of Johannesburg.
After the mass shooting at the Lonmin mine, he accused Zuma of presiding over a "massacre of the people of South Africa".
"How can he call on people to mourn those he has killed? He must step down," he said.
The authorities came in for heavy criticism of their handling of the shooting and its aftermath. Up to 270 miners were arrested and initially charged with murder after police opened fire on workers at Lonmin PLC's platinum mine.
The charges were brought under an apartheid-era collective responsibility law termed the "common purpose doctrine".
It was designed to silence dissent among the black population by making whole groups responsible for the actions of individuals.
He has been captured on film singing a violent folk song at a rally which extorted people to "kill the Boer" - white South Africans. See here:
Miners who earn about £400 a month should down tools until their salary is doubled, he has insisted.
Wildcat strikes have broken out in recent weeks and have hit production at gold aluminium mines.
Also fuelling unrest has been competition between rival mining unions for members.
The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union has scooped up many members of the National Union of Mineworkers, the country's largest union.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Italian Appeals Court Overturns 2013 Sex with Underage Prostitute Conviction Against Former PM Silvio Berlusconi
- New Senator Jacqui Lambie Heats Up Aussie Radio by Saying Potential Suitor Should Be Rich and Well-Hung
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time