Galaxy S3 I9300 users just got lucky, as Samsung
is pushing the latest official firmware XXBLH3 based Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update across all the countries worldwide Photo: Google
Galaxy S3 I9300 users just got lucky, as Samsung is pushing the latest official firmware XXBLH3 based Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update across several countries worldwide. This firmware may be installed either using Samsung KIES (Over-The- Air update) or manually by following our step-by-step guide below using ODIN flashing tool.
Key Points to Note
- I9300XXBLH3 is a leaked version of the official firmware and hence it's totally unbranded. In other words, it can be installed on any Galaxy S3 I9300 phone with unlocked bootloader.
- As this is an official Android 4.0.4 build XXBLH3 update for Galaxy S3, you will lose root access soon after installing this update. You are required to once again root your smartphone to recover full root access for installing third-party apps and tweaks.
- The instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the international version Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- Further, the instructions given in the guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
Android 4.0.4 XXBLH3 Firmware Details
- PDA: I9300XXBLH3
- CSC: I9300O2UBLH2
- Version: 4.0.4
- Date: 2012-08-01
- Regions tested/supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy S3 phone. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers here.
- Enable USB debugging mode, which helps connect your S3 phone with the PC.
- Verify that your phone battery holds at least 80 to 85 percent charge to avoid device shutdown due to battery drain, while installing the XXBLH3 ROM based ICS update.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, critical data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the official firmware. Users may backup data using Samsung KIES or employ a manual backup for more flexible options.
- Your phone should either be factory unlocked or manually unlocked with custom unlock tools and rooted, before proceeding with the XXBLH3 official firmware installation.
How to Install XXBLH3 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy S3 I9300
Photo: Team Android
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 I9300XXBLH3 official ROM for Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is required to install Android 4.0.4 update on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the Android robot icon and a triangle. Once again press Power button to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to your computer while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow corresponding to the COM port number. This step may be time consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 7 - Now choose the files needed to flash/install on your phone, which are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click PDA and choose file with 'CODE' in its name.
- Tap Phone and click file with 'MODEM' in its name. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click on CSC and choose file with 'CSC' in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on PIT and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is unavailable.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable the Auto Rebootand F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partitionoption, enable it ONLY if you selected a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Now, click Start in ODIN and the installation process will begin. It may take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, your phone will reboot. When you see the home screen, disconnect your phone from the computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 is now updated to Android 4.0.4 build XXBLH3 firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware build on your phone.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: