4chan And Reddit Team Up To Make Taylor Swift Perform At School For The Deaf
By Eric Brown | August 31, 2012 7:34 AM EST
After 4chan and Reddit teamed up to send the reviled rapper Pitbull to the frozen wastelands of Kodiak, Alaska, the two bands of Internet trolls are at it again, this time attempting to send Taylor Swift to perform an exclusive concert at a school for the deaf. Yes, for the deaf.
Perpetual high-school sophomore Taylor Swift has teamed up with textbook supplier Chegg and pizza company Papa John's for the Taylor Swift on Campus contest, allowing college students to vote on which college Taylor Swift will visit.
But thanks to the pranksters at 4chan and Reddit, the leading school in the poll is currently the Horace Mann School for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Allston, Mass. Not exactly the best venue for a live music event, right?
Of course, that's the point.
Some Reddit users are pointing out that even if the attempt is successful, Taylor Swift still may not stage a concert at the Horace Mann School for the Deaf. One user points out that both the school and the corporate sponsors can decline the concert if there is any potential conflict or disagreement.
The official contest rules read, "Sponsors cannot guarantee that a school, if selected as the Grand Prize Winning School, will agree to participate in this Promotion or accept the Music Event as a prize or, if selected as a top five school, will agree to accept the Grant as a prize...If Music Event details cannot be agreed upon with Taylor Swift and the Grand Prize Winning School, Chegg may award the Music Event to another school (time permitting). "
Another Redditor clarifies that despite the point of the prank, the Horace Mann students may enjoy a concert from Taylor Swift, as many deaf people are able to appreciate music.
User Sanderf90 writes, "I used to volunteer with deaf people. There were concerts designed for deaf people. With floors adjusted to vibrate to the music (speakers under the floor) and everyone holding a balloon in their hands. I'm not deaf myself, but from the reactions I could tell they were able to enjoy the music."
Another user, No-Coast-Punk, chimed in to explain exactly how balloons can help the deaf experience music. "Balloons have a very wide resonant frequency," the user writes. "This means they vibrate at the same frequency as any surrounding sounds (and not just the low frequency sounds that most materials typically resonate at). Holding a balloon would allow a deaf person to feel all of the sound"
So really, it sounds like everyone wins with this contest. Internet trolls get to have fun at Taylor Swift's expense, and deaf students may get the concert of a lifetime. What's not to like?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales