English Premier League Biggest Spenders in the Last Decade; Chelsea Tops the List
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 30, 2012 9:53 PM EST
English Premier League has spent billions at the transfer window even since it was introduced a decade ago. The total amount spent on transfer of players so far has crossed £4.4bn, according to professional services firm Deloitte.
According to the report by Deloitte, Chelsea FC tops the list of the Premier League's biggest spenders in the last 10 years. Here is the list of the top ten spenders:
1. Chelsea FC: Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, the owner of the club, has spent £673 million on transfer fees, making it the leading spender. It is reported that he had given free hand to team manager Roberto Di Matteo to transform the club into an exciting one. The club spent hefty amount this season too by hiring big names like Fernando Torres, Eden Hazard, Oscar Dos Santos, Victor Moses, Cesar Azpilicueta and Marko Marin.
2. Manchester City: With a spending of £572 million, Manchester City is the second biggest spender in the English Premier League. Manager Roberto Mancini has already signed Jack Rodwell and David Pizarro this year, and is likely to sign a few more including Arsenal's Theo Walcott.
3. Liverpool FC: With a spending of £414 million in the last decade, Liverpool is the third biggest spender. Brendan Rodgers has signed Nuri Sahin, Oussama Assaidi, Joe Allen and Fabio Borini this season too.
4. Manchester United: Interestingly, Manchester United is behind other clubs in spending though it is names the most valuable sports team in the world by Forbes magazine. It has spent £352 million till date. The club signed Robin van Persie, Shinji Kagawa, Alexander Buttner, Angelo Henriquez and Nick Powell this season.
5. Tottenham Hotspur: Spending £350 million on transfer fees in the last one decade, Tottenham Hotspur is the fifth biggest spender. The club has signed players like Moussa Dembele, Emmanuel Adebayor, Jan Vertonghen and Gylfi Sigurdsson this year too.
6. Arsenal FC: Having spent £214 million in the last one decade, Arsenal is the sixth biggest spender. Team manager Arsene Wenger has spent millions on Lukas Podolski, Santi Cazorla, and Olivier Giroud this season too. He is likely to sign a few more players before the transfer window closes.
7. Aston Villa: With a total spending of £201 million, Aston Villa is the seventh biggest spender. This year too, the club has bought players like Joe Bennett, Ron Vlaar, Mathew Lowton, Karim El Amadi and Bennett Holman.
8. Sunderland AFC: With a spending of £187 million on transfer fees in the last one decade, Sunderland is eighth biggest spender in EPL. The club has signed Steven Fletcher, Adam Johnson, Louis Saha and Carlos Cuellar this season too.
9. Newcastle United: It is the ninth biggest spender in the last one decade with a spending of £174 million. Newcastle has signed players namely Vurnon Anita, Curtis Good, Gael Bigirimana and Romain Amalfitano this season too.
10. Everton FC: With a spending of £129 million on transfer fees in the last 10 years, Everton stands in the tenth position of the list of biggest spenders. It has bought Kevin Mirallas, Steven Pienaar and Steven Naismith this season too.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone