English Premier League Biggest Spenders in the Last Decade; Chelsea Tops the List
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 30, 2012 9:53 PM EST
English Premier League has spent billions at the transfer window even since it was introduced a decade ago. The total amount spent on transfer of players so far has crossed £4.4bn, according to professional services firm Deloitte.
According to the report by Deloitte, Chelsea FC tops the list of the Premier League's biggest spenders in the last 10 years. Here is the list of the top ten spenders:
1. Chelsea FC: Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, the owner of the club, has spent £673 million on transfer fees, making it the leading spender. It is reported that he had given free hand to team manager Roberto Di Matteo to transform the club into an exciting one. The club spent hefty amount this season too by hiring big names like Fernando Torres, Eden Hazard, Oscar Dos Santos, Victor Moses, Cesar Azpilicueta and Marko Marin.
2. Manchester City: With a spending of £572 million, Manchester City is the second biggest spender in the English Premier League. Manager Roberto Mancini has already signed Jack Rodwell and David Pizarro this year, and is likely to sign a few more including Arsenal's Theo Walcott.
3. Liverpool FC: With a spending of £414 million in the last decade, Liverpool is the third biggest spender. Brendan Rodgers has signed Nuri Sahin, Oussama Assaidi, Joe Allen and Fabio Borini this season too.
4. Manchester United: Interestingly, Manchester United is behind other clubs in spending though it is names the most valuable sports team in the world by Forbes magazine. It has spent £352 million till date. The club signed Robin van Persie, Shinji Kagawa, Alexander Buttner, Angelo Henriquez and Nick Powell this season.
5. Tottenham Hotspur: Spending £350 million on transfer fees in the last one decade, Tottenham Hotspur is the fifth biggest spender. The club has signed players like Moussa Dembele, Emmanuel Adebayor, Jan Vertonghen and Gylfi Sigurdsson this year too.
6. Arsenal FC: Having spent £214 million in the last one decade, Arsenal is the sixth biggest spender. Team manager Arsene Wenger has spent millions on Lukas Podolski, Santi Cazorla, and Olivier Giroud this season too. He is likely to sign a few more players before the transfer window closes.
7. Aston Villa: With a total spending of £201 million, Aston Villa is the seventh biggest spender. This year too, the club has bought players like Joe Bennett, Ron Vlaar, Mathew Lowton, Karim El Amadi and Bennett Holman.
8. Sunderland AFC: With a spending of £187 million on transfer fees in the last one decade, Sunderland is eighth biggest spender in EPL. The club has signed Steven Fletcher, Adam Johnson, Louis Saha and Carlos Cuellar this season too.
9. Newcastle United: It is the ninth biggest spender in the last one decade with a spending of £174 million. Newcastle has signed players namely Vurnon Anita, Curtis Good, Gael Bigirimana and Romain Amalfitano this season too.
10. Everton FC: With a spending of £129 million on transfer fees in the last 10 years, Everton stands in the tenth position of the list of biggest spenders. It has bought Kevin Mirallas, Steven Pienaar and Steven Naismith this season too.
To contact the editor, e-mail: