Fifty Shades of Grey: Top 5 Things Girl Friends Discuss Over Coffee and Drinks
By Arlene Paredes | August 30, 2012 5:25 PM EST
Fifty Shades of Grey has become a phenomenon that seems to have marked this century with modern-day BDSM awareness.
Is it all the submission-and-dominance, or is it the love story that made the book so popular? Or is it both? This is one of the things that girl friends discuss over booze and coffee when the book comes up in conversations.
Here are the Top 5 Things that Friends Discuss Over Caffeine and Booze
5. Who to cast for the role?
Fans know the lead characters Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey by heart, that they have specific ideas on who to cast for the roles. There have been reports that the film producers would go for upcoming instead of established actors, but relatively big names like Matt Bomer and Emma Watson have led online polls, anyway.
4. The erotic parts that make up the book, and what could be tried with their partners
While other girls would rather keep their bed tales to themselves, those who have questions on what they've read in 'Fifty Shades' have questions that needed answers. This is when the previously secretive other girls begin to talk.
"I've been tracking media for the past 17 years for NCSF and there has never been any kind of reaction like this before," says Susan Wright, a spokesperson for the advocacy group National Coalition for Sexual Freedom.
Speaking to Hollywood.com, Wright says James opened a topic for discussion for the readers.
3. Just how bad is the book, really?
Not everyone who has read 'Fifty Shades' are fans of the fiction. There are those who have read better erotic fiction. There are others who were unable to read past the first few chapters (the early parts before erotica kicks in) because of James' weak narrative and repetitive expressions.
"I read all of them and while I found the love story touching, I found all the books poorly written and and often incorrect as far as the BDSM is concerned... You have to really understand BDSM to write about it and it's obvious that E.L. James didn't do her research," says the 76-year-old Desiree Holt, a romance author.
2. Why is the book so unputdownable for the others?
What makes the book unputdownable for others, and detestable for the rest? Why do other readers read it again? (Book critics say it is not the finest work of fiction, after all.) Is it the love story of the lead characters, or is it what they do in bed (or other places)? Or is it both?
1. The things Christian Grey do for Anastasia Steele
When girls talk about actors to cast in the film, they talk about their own perception of Christian Grey's vibe and looks. Moving forward into the conversation, they talk about the things the pop fiction hero does for his submissive. In some instances, some girls begin to wonder if they could meet their own Christian Grey. This is when the realists in the group smacks the others to say: It's all fiction, and it's not even well-written at that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border