Fifty Shades of Grey: Top 5 Things Girl Friends Discuss Over Coffee and Drinks
By Arlene Paredes | August 30, 2012 5:25 PM EST
Fifty Shades of Grey has become a phenomenon that seems to have marked this century with modern-day BDSM awareness.
Is it all the submission-and-dominance, or is it the love story that made the book so popular? Or is it both? This is one of the things that girl friends discuss over booze and coffee when the book comes up in conversations.
Here are the Top 5 Things that Friends Discuss Over Caffeine and Booze
5. Who to cast for the role?
Fans know the lead characters Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey by heart, that they have specific ideas on who to cast for the roles. There have been reports that the film producers would go for upcoming instead of established actors, but relatively big names like Matt Bomer and Emma Watson have led online polls, anyway.
4. The erotic parts that make up the book, and what could be tried with their partners
While other girls would rather keep their bed tales to themselves, those who have questions on what they've read in 'Fifty Shades' have questions that needed answers. This is when the previously secretive other girls begin to talk.
"I've been tracking media for the past 17 years for NCSF and there has never been any kind of reaction like this before," says Susan Wright, a spokesperson for the advocacy group National Coalition for Sexual Freedom.
Speaking to Hollywood.com, Wright says James opened a topic for discussion for the readers.
3. Just how bad is the book, really?
Not everyone who has read 'Fifty Shades' are fans of the fiction. There are those who have read better erotic fiction. There are others who were unable to read past the first few chapters (the early parts before erotica kicks in) because of James' weak narrative and repetitive expressions.
"I read all of them and while I found the love story touching, I found all the books poorly written and and often incorrect as far as the BDSM is concerned... You have to really understand BDSM to write about it and it's obvious that E.L. James didn't do her research," says the 76-year-old Desiree Holt, a romance author.
2. Why is the book so unputdownable for the others?
What makes the book unputdownable for others, and detestable for the rest? Why do other readers read it again? (Book critics say it is not the finest work of fiction, after all.) Is it the love story of the lead characters, or is it what they do in bed (or other places)? Or is it both?
1. The things Christian Grey do for Anastasia Steele
When girls talk about actors to cast in the film, they talk about their own perception of Christian Grey's vibe and looks. Moving forward into the conversation, they talk about the things the pop fiction hero does for his submissive. In some instances, some girls begin to wonder if they could meet their own Christian Grey. This is when the realists in the group smacks the others to say: It's all fiction, and it's not even well-written at that.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2