SEAL's 'No Easy Day' Book One More Of Many Bin Laden Death Truths
By Laura Matthews | August 30, 2012 5:30 AM EST
A new book claiming to provide a former U.S. Navy SEAL's first-person account of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden is casting doubt on what administration officials said happened, and leads to more questions than it answers.
Various media received leaked copies of the much-anticipated "No Easy Day," in which the former SEAL Team Six member, who wrote under the pseudonym Mark Owen, described how an allegedly unarmed bin Laden was already fatally shot in the head in a room at his Abbottabad, Pakistan, compound before the service members entered.
Owen, whose book will be in stores next month, has been identified by Fox News as Matt Bissonnette, 36, of Wrangell, Alaska.
Already Fatally Wounded
Owen says he was among the Team 6 members who were climbing a narrow staircase behind a "point man." The point man saw a man poke his head out of a doorway and fired. It wasn't immediately known whether the target was hit.
"The man disappeared into the dark room," according to the Huffington Post, the first to receive a copy of the book.
When team members got to the room they saw a woman crying over bin Laden's body. The book reportedly described the terrorist group leader as being dressed in a white sleeveless T-shirt, loose tan pants and a tan tunic.
"Blood and brains spilled out of the side of his skull," Owen wrote, adding that bin Laden was still twitching, so another SEAL fired several rounds into his chest.
"The bullets tore into him, slamming his body into the floor until he was motionless."
Two guns with empty chambers were found when the apartment was searched. Owen said the team wasn't fired upon.
Administration officials who spoke immediately following the raid said there was a firefight with the Navy SEALS. The White House later said bin Laden was unharmed but was resisting capture when a SEAL member shot him twice from across the room.
The Pentagon has told Reuters it has a copy of the book, which wasn't cleared by defense officials, and it is being reviewed. Reports are that they will be looking to see if the book contains classified information.
But the author told the Associated Press he wouldn't release information that would "compromise national security."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced