Dodgers Trade Rumors: Joe Mauer on L.A.’s Radar? Minnesota Twins Star Placed on Waivers
By Anthony Riccobono | August 30, 2012 4:39 AM EST
The Los Angeles Dodgers have shown that they have no problem trading for players with big salaries.
Los Angeles has acquired Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Hanley Ramirez this season. All four players are owed a combined $292.5 million after 2012.
With L.A.'s willingness to take on the big contracts of underperforming stars, could Joe Mauer be the next player on the Dodgers radar?
The Twins have reportedly placed their star catcher on waivers. Minnesota could be looking to gauge the market for Mauer, who has yet to live up to his contract.
The former AL MVP signed an eight-year deal worth $184 million, before the start of the 2010 MLB season. Mauer was rewarded after having his best season as a pro. He hit .365 with 28 home runs and 96 RBI in 2009.
Since then, Mauer has failed to perform like one of the top players in baseball. After missing half of last year due to injuries, he finished the season batting .287 with just three home runs. While his average is above .300 this season, his power numbers are still down. Mauer has eight homers and a .425 slugging percentage in 120 games.
Along with Mauer's production, the Twins winning percentage has also dropped. Minnesota finished in last place in 2011, and is in the cellar of the AL Central once again.
If they're not winning games, the Twins might feel it's time to rebuild and shed this large contract from their payroll.
The Dodgers could still use some help on offense, and Mauer would give them an upgrade at catcher. A.J. Ellis has exceeded expectation with the Dodgers, but the 31-year-old catcher is not in the same class as Mauer. The Dodgers also lack a star catching prospect in the farm system.
Los Angeles might not have to give up a lot for the Minnesota star. Since he makes so much money, L.A. could possibly trade for him by just sending a few prospects to the Twins.
There's a chance that Minnesota isn't looking to move Mauer. It's a standard practice for teams to place a lot of their players on waivers, even if they have no intention of moving them.
However, the Twins would likely consider dealing Mauer if another team claimed him. He's a fan favorite, but he would provide Minnesota with substantial payroll relief.
The Red Sox have been rumored to be a team interested in Mauer. Boston has reportedly tried to acquire the catcher in the past, and they have some money to spend after making their blockbuster trade with L.A.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet