‘No Indians No Asians’ Job Ad Sparks Outrage in Tasmania
By IB Times Staff Reporter | August 29, 2012 3:09 PM EST
Australian supermarket chain Coles is in the center of a controversy after an advertisement for cleaners stating "Store requires no Indians and no Asians" was published online.
"Store requires no Indians or Asians please. Must speak English (sic)," the advertisement read.
The advertisement also featured other requirements the store wants stating "Positions available for experienced cleaners in supermarket cleaning for night and/or morning work. Must be able to work unsupervised, to a timelimit and have an eye for detail. Must have own transport + licence and abn (Australian business number.)"
The advertisement went viral on social media sites and sparked outrage with people calling for a boycott against the store.
"Which supermarket is this so I can boycott them?" one Facebook user said.
"A case for the Anti-Discrimination Commission, surely," another user said.
Following the complaints the advertisement was immediately taken off the site.
Coles spokesman Jim Cooper said that the ad was posted by a sub-contractor who is not associated with the company now. "The ad was placed without the company's knowledge and we were extremely concerned to learn of the ad and its contents," Cooper told The Mercury.
"Coles is a proud, equal-opportunity employer and at no time have we ever issued the directives contained in this ad. We have made these points in no uncertain terms to the cleaning contractors in question," he added.
Meanwhile, Tasmania Anti-Discrimination Commissioner Robin Banks said that she is investigating the advertisement because it seems to be a breach of law, ABC news reported.
She also said that she wanted to get hold of the sub-contractor who placed the advertisement to carry out legal action against him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best