‘No Indians No Asians’ Job Ad Sparks Outrage in Tasmania
By IB Times Staff Reporter | August 29, 2012 3:09 PM EST
Australian supermarket chain Coles is in the center of a controversy after an advertisement for cleaners stating "Store requires no Indians and no Asians" was published online.
"Store requires no Indians or Asians please. Must speak English (sic)," the advertisement read.
The advertisement also featured other requirements the store wants stating "Positions available for experienced cleaners in supermarket cleaning for night and/or morning work. Must be able to work unsupervised, to a timelimit and have an eye for detail. Must have own transport + licence and abn (Australian business number.)"
The advertisement went viral on social media sites and sparked outrage with people calling for a boycott against the store.
"Which supermarket is this so I can boycott them?" one Facebook user said.
"A case for the Anti-Discrimination Commission, surely," another user said.
Following the complaints the advertisement was immediately taken off the site.
Coles spokesman Jim Cooper said that the ad was posted by a sub-contractor who is not associated with the company now. "The ad was placed without the company's knowledge and we were extremely concerned to learn of the ad and its contents," Cooper told The Mercury.
"Coles is a proud, equal-opportunity employer and at no time have we ever issued the directives contained in this ad. We have made these points in no uncertain terms to the cleaning contractors in question," he added.
Meanwhile, Tasmania Anti-Discrimination Commissioner Robin Banks said that she is investigating the advertisement because it seems to be a breach of law, ABC news reported.
She also said that she wanted to get hold of the sub-contractor who placed the advertisement to carry out legal action against him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko