Spain's Finances Unraveling As Catalonia Seeks €5B From Madrid
By Roland Li | August 29, 2012 1:46 AM EST
Catalonia will seek €5 billion euros ($6.26 billion) in aid from the country's national fund to cut the region's deficit and to pay off debts, officials of Spain's northeast region said Tuesday, in the latest example of how the euro zone's fourth-largest economy is struggling.
The region, which accounts for around 20 percent of the Spain's output, became the second Spanish region to seek aid from the €18 billion fund. Valencia previously requested an unspecified amount in July, and Murcia is also expected to ask for aid from the fund. A total of six of the country's 17 regions are expected to seek aid, according to Reuters.
Spain's central government, led by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, created the relief fund in July to assist regional entities. “Catalonia can’t face the redemptions it has at the moment. It is the big problem in this country at the moment,” Rajoy said in Madrid on Tuesday, according to Bloomberg. “Spain will help Catalonia as it has done before and we’ll discuss with them everything that needs to be discussed.”
Spain's recession worsened in the second quarter, according to figures released Tuesday. The country's economy contracted by 0.4 percent compared to the previous quarter and 1.3 percent compared to the prior year. Consumer spending was down 1 percent and government spending fell 0.7 percent compared to the previous quarter.
On Friday, Spain's 10-year borrowing rates rose above 6 percent -- a level that forced Greece into a default earlier this year -- before falling to 5.96 percent. Spanish consumers are also withdrawing funds out of banks at record levels, according to figures released on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28