Spain's Finances Unraveling As Catalonia Seeks €5B From Madrid
By Roland Li | August 29, 2012 1:46 AM EST
Catalonia will seek €5 billion euros ($6.26 billion) in aid from the country's national fund to cut the region's deficit and to pay off debts, officials of Spain's northeast region said Tuesday, in the latest example of how the euro zone's fourth-largest economy is struggling.
The region, which accounts for around 20 percent of the Spain's output, became the second Spanish region to seek aid from the €18 billion fund. Valencia previously requested an unspecified amount in July, and Murcia is also expected to ask for aid from the fund. A total of six of the country's 17 regions are expected to seek aid, according to Reuters.
Spain's central government, led by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, created the relief fund in July to assist regional entities. “Catalonia can’t face the redemptions it has at the moment. It is the big problem in this country at the moment,” Rajoy said in Madrid on Tuesday, according to Bloomberg. “Spain will help Catalonia as it has done before and we’ll discuss with them everything that needs to be discussed.”
Spain's recession worsened in the second quarter, according to figures released Tuesday. The country's economy contracted by 0.4 percent compared to the previous quarter and 1.3 percent compared to the prior year. Consumer spending was down 1 percent and government spending fell 0.7 percent compared to the previous quarter.
On Friday, Spain's 10-year borrowing rates rose above 6 percent -- a level that forced Greece into a default earlier this year -- before falling to 5.96 percent. Spanish consumers are also withdrawing funds out of banks at record levels, according to figures released on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports