Spain's Finances Unraveling As Catalonia Seeks €5B From Madrid
By Roland Li | August 29, 2012 1:46 AM EST
Catalonia will seek €5 billion euros ($6.26 billion) in aid from the country's national fund to cut the region's deficit and to pay off debts, officials of Spain's northeast region said Tuesday, in the latest example of how the euro zone's fourth-largest economy is struggling.
The region, which accounts for around 20 percent of the Spain's output, became the second Spanish region to seek aid from the €18 billion fund. Valencia previously requested an unspecified amount in July, and Murcia is also expected to ask for aid from the fund. A total of six of the country's 17 regions are expected to seek aid, according to Reuters.
Spain's central government, led by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, created the relief fund in July to assist regional entities. “Catalonia can’t face the redemptions it has at the moment. It is the big problem in this country at the moment,” Rajoy said in Madrid on Tuesday, according to Bloomberg. “Spain will help Catalonia as it has done before and we’ll discuss with them everything that needs to be discussed.”
Spain's recession worsened in the second quarter, according to figures released Tuesday. The country's economy contracted by 0.4 percent compared to the previous quarter and 1.3 percent compared to the prior year. Consumer spending was down 1 percent and government spending fell 0.7 percent compared to the previous quarter.
On Friday, Spain's 10-year borrowing rates rose above 6 percent -- a level that forced Greece into a default earlier this year -- before falling to 5.96 percent. Spanish consumers are also withdrawing funds out of banks at record levels, according to figures released on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region