About 24% Of Gulf Of Mexico's Oil Output Cut By Tropical Storm Isaac
By J.J. McGrath | August 27, 2012 12:26 PM EST
With the approach of Tropical Storm Isaac in the Gulf of Mexico, about 24.2 percent of the gulf's daily oil production and about 8.2 percent of its daily natural-gas production has been shut-in, according to estimates of the U.S. Interior Department's Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, or BSEE.
This represents about 333,815 barrels of oil per day and about 371 million cubic feet of natural gas per day.
Oil-and-gas operators in the gulf have evacuated at least 39 production platforms -- equivalent to 6.5 percent of the 596 manned platforms there -- the BSEE reported.
O&G operators also have evacuated at least eight drilling rigs -- equivalent to 10.5 percent of the 76 rigs operating at present in the gulf -- the BSEE said.
These BSEE figures are based on numbers submitted to it by O&G operators as of Sunday at 12:30 p.m. EDT.
Based on both Tropical Storm Isaac's anticipated path and the O&G industry's history of operations in similar situations, significantly more output most likely will be shut-in during the next couple of days.
Accordingly, light sweet crude oil prices were moving higher by more than 1 percent in CME Group Globex futures trading on Sunday night.
Meanwhile, the U.S. National Hurricane Center's latest advisory on Isaac puts the eye of the storm about 530 miles southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River, with the system moving west-northwest at 15 mph. The maximum sustained winds are 65 mph, and the minimum central pressure is 29.26 inches.
"Some strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours," the NHC reported on Sunday at 8 p.m. EDT, "and Isaac is expected to become a hurricane in a day or two."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions