Death Toll Climbs To 39 In Big Blast At Venezuelan Oil Refinery
By J.J. McGrath | August 26, 2012 12:11 PM EST
With casualties of the earthshaking explosion at Venezuela's largest oil refinery rising to 39 dead and more than 80 injured on Saturday, President Hugo Chavez has called for an investigation to determine the cause of the firestorm at the Amuay plant in Falcon state in the northwest of the country.
Chavez also declared three days of national mourning, BBC News reported.
Earlier, Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said the conflagration had been caused by a gas leak, according to El Universal in the capital city of Caracas.
Amuay and a neighboring facility form part of the Paraguana Refining Center, the second-biggest refinery complex in the world, with an overall capacity of 955,000 barrels per day, Reuters said.
The accident brought operations at the Amuay refinery to a screeching halt, but Ramirez told Reuters he anticipated production would be resumed by Monday. He also said Venezuela should be able to continue its fuel exports without interruption, which indicates the mishap may have little or no effect on energy prices.
According to BBC News, 18 of those killed in the blast were members of the National Guard stationed at the plant, 15 were civilians, and six are unidentified.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June