Death Toll Climbs To 39 In Big Blast At Venezuelan Oil Refinery
By J.J. McGrath | August 26, 2012 12:11 PM EST
With casualties of the earthshaking explosion at Venezuela's largest oil refinery rising to 39 dead and more than 80 injured on Saturday, President Hugo Chavez has called for an investigation to determine the cause of the firestorm at the Amuay plant in Falcon state in the northwest of the country.
Chavez also declared three days of national mourning, BBC News reported.
Earlier, Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said the conflagration had been caused by a gas leak, according to El Universal in the capital city of Caracas.
Amuay and a neighboring facility form part of the Paraguana Refining Center, the second-biggest refinery complex in the world, with an overall capacity of 955,000 barrels per day, Reuters said.
The accident brought operations at the Amuay refinery to a screeching halt, but Ramirez told Reuters he anticipated production would be resumed by Monday. He also said Venezuela should be able to continue its fuel exports without interruption, which indicates the mishap may have little or no effect on energy prices.
According to BBC News, 18 of those killed in the blast were members of the National Guard stationed at the plant, 15 were civilians, and six are unidentified.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine