'Birdmuda Triangle' Over Britain The Source Of Hundreds Of Disappearing Pigeons
By Jeff Stone | August 25, 2012 12:26 PM EST
Flocks of missing birds have British homing-pigeon owners concerned. In a mysterious area that's already been dubbed the Bermuda Triangle of birds and the "Birdmuda" triangle, people in the U.K. are worried because their racing pigeons appear to have vanished into thin air.
In one case, only 13 of 232 birds released in Thirsk, North Yorkshire, arrived at their destination, the Telegraph reported. The pigeons were released by a Scottish racing club that normally finds the birds at the finish point, which is Galashiels, Selkirikshire.
It might seem natural for the birds to fly away, but many racers reported uncharacteristically losing their pigeons in the "Birdmuda Triangle" since the season opened in April. The creatures could have disappeared because of abnormally frequent summer showers or due to unusually high levels of solar activity that disrupted their magnetic fields. Whatever the cause, investors are not pleased because the highest price ever paid for a single racing pigeon is $328,000, according to NPR.
The Telegraph wrote that when pigeons fly together in large groups, they confuse each other. By that logic, there could be a flock of the birds flying into each other right now somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.
A nearby U.S. spy base at Menwith Hill, North Yorkshire, has also come under fire for distributing unusually strong electronic fields into the air.
Gawker published its own scenario Friday: "The most obvious explanation is that Satan is calling home his sons and daughters."
"It is the worst year in the memory of people who have been racing for 60 years," an individual who competes in the sport told the Telegraph.
The Sun noted that the "Birdmuda Triangle" in question ranges from Consett, in County Durham, to Thirsk and Wetherby, both in North Yorkshire. Anyone who finds a homing pigeon should give it corn and sugar water, the Sun said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools