'Birdmuda Triangle' Over Britain The Source Of Hundreds Of Disappearing Pigeons
By Jeff Stone | August 25, 2012 12:26 PM EST
Flocks of missing birds have British homing-pigeon owners concerned. In a mysterious area that's already been dubbed the Bermuda Triangle of birds and the "Birdmuda" triangle, people in the U.K. are worried because their racing pigeons appear to have vanished into thin air.
In one case, only 13 of 232 birds released in Thirsk, North Yorkshire, arrived at their destination, the Telegraph reported. The pigeons were released by a Scottish racing club that normally finds the birds at the finish point, which is Galashiels, Selkirikshire.
It might seem natural for the birds to fly away, but many racers reported uncharacteristically losing their pigeons in the "Birdmuda Triangle" since the season opened in April. The creatures could have disappeared because of abnormally frequent summer showers or due to unusually high levels of solar activity that disrupted their magnetic fields. Whatever the cause, investors are not pleased because the highest price ever paid for a single racing pigeon is $328,000, according to NPR.
The Telegraph wrote that when pigeons fly together in large groups, they confuse each other. By that logic, there could be a flock of the birds flying into each other right now somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.
A nearby U.S. spy base at Menwith Hill, North Yorkshire, has also come under fire for distributing unusually strong electronic fields into the air.
Gawker published its own scenario Friday: "The most obvious explanation is that Satan is calling home his sons and daughters."
"It is the worst year in the memory of people who have been racing for 60 years," an individual who competes in the sport told the Telegraph.
The Sun noted that the "Birdmuda Triangle" in question ranges from Consett, in County Durham, to Thirsk and Wetherby, both in North Yorkshire. Anyone who finds a homing pigeon should give it corn and sugar water, the Sun said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown