'Birdmuda Triangle' Over Britain The Source Of Hundreds Of Disappearing Pigeons
By Jeff Stone | August 25, 2012 12:26 PM EST
Flocks of missing birds have British homing-pigeon owners concerned. In a mysterious area that's already been dubbed the Bermuda Triangle of birds and the "Birdmuda" triangle, people in the U.K. are worried because their racing pigeons appear to have vanished into thin air.
In one case, only 13 of 232 birds released in Thirsk, North Yorkshire, arrived at their destination, the Telegraph reported. The pigeons were released by a Scottish racing club that normally finds the birds at the finish point, which is Galashiels, Selkirikshire.
It might seem natural for the birds to fly away, but many racers reported uncharacteristically losing their pigeons in the "Birdmuda Triangle" since the season opened in April. The creatures could have disappeared because of abnormally frequent summer showers or due to unusually high levels of solar activity that disrupted their magnetic fields. Whatever the cause, investors are not pleased because the highest price ever paid for a single racing pigeon is $328,000, according to NPR.
The Telegraph wrote that when pigeons fly together in large groups, they confuse each other. By that logic, there could be a flock of the birds flying into each other right now somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.
A nearby U.S. spy base at Menwith Hill, North Yorkshire, has also come under fire for distributing unusually strong electronic fields into the air.
Gawker published its own scenario Friday: "The most obvious explanation is that Satan is calling home his sons and daughters."
"It is the worst year in the memory of people who have been racing for 60 years," an individual who competes in the sport told the Telegraph.
The Sun noted that the "Birdmuda Triangle" in question ranges from Consett, in County Durham, to Thirsk and Wetherby, both in North Yorkshire. Anyone who finds a homing pigeon should give it corn and sugar water, the Sun said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28