New York Jets News: Tim Tebow Likely To Start Over Mark Sanchez in 2012
By Anthony Riccobono | August 22, 2012 2:00 AM EST
A little over a week after the Jets gave Mark Sanchez a contract extension, they made a trade with the Broncos to acquire Tim Tebow.
For much of the offseason, there has been speculation that the quarterback will eventually take over the starting job.
In his first two seasons in the NFL, Sanchez led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game. Last season, Gang Green finished a disappointing 8-8 and missed the playoffs.
New York has stated that Sanchez will be at the helm all season long, but Las Vegas doesn't seem to agree. According to Las Vegas insider RJ Bell of pregame.com, the odds suggest that Tebow will likely start at some point in 2012.
It's almost a certainty that Sanchez will begin the season as the starter. The odds of Tebow starting in Week 1 are 6/1, while the chances of him taking over for Sanchez in any of the next three games are 5/1.
According to Las Vegas sportsbooks, the chances of Tebow starting increase exponentially later in the season. Winning a $100 bet that states Tebow will start sometime between Week 5 and Week 9 would net a gambler $300. The odds of Tebow starting after Week 10 move to 5/2.
The odds of Tebow not starting a game the entire season are 2/1. While the Jets insist that Tebow was brought to New York to play behind Sanchez, bookmakers have set the odds of him starting at least one contest at 71 percent.
After a disappointing 2011 campaign, there were rumors that the Jets would look to replace their quarterback. A few anonymous players criticized Sanchez in the media and questioned his ability to lead a winning team. New York also reached out to Peyton Manning before he decided to sign with Denver.
Head coach Rex Ryan says Tebow is the team's backup, but will still see a lot of playing time in different packages. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano ran the Wildcat offense in Miami, and will introduce the package with the Jets. Tebow could be on the field for as many as 20 plays per game.
Through two preseason games, the have Jets picked up where they left off last year, struggling mightily on offense. They've been outscored 43-9 in games against the Bengals and Giants.
Sanchez has completed 76 percent of his passes, but he's thrown for just 80 yards on 17 attempts. He has no touchdowns and one interception. Tebow has been even worse, going 9-22 for 96 yards and an interception.
If Sanchez struggles early in the 2012 season, the Jets may turn to Tebow to right the ship. He took over for a struggling Kyle Orton five games into 2011, eventually leading Denver to the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone