Joseph Gordon-Levitt: 'Fall in Love with the Actual Person, not with the Idea'
By Lawrence Villamar | August 16, 2012 12:58 PM EST
"The Dark Knight Rises" star Joseph Gordon-Levitt warns his fans against falling in love with an "idea of the person".
"A lot of boys and girls think their lives will have meaning if they find a partner who wants nothing else in life but them," Levitt told Playboy magazine in an interview.
"That’s not healthy. That’s falling in love with the idea of a person, not the actual person."
Levitt, who shot to fame with the hit "(500) Days of Summers," wants fans of the movie to again watch Marc Webber's film and re-think his character in the movie.
"I would encourage anyone who has a crush on my character to watch it again and examine how selfish he is. He develops a mildly delusional obsession over a girl onto whom he projects all these fantasies. He thinks she’ll give his life meaning because he doesn’t care about much else going on in his life."
In the film, Gordon-Levitt plays an architecture major, who draws greeting cards for a living. He falls hopelessly in love with the new girl at the office named Summer mistaking her for the "one true love". The couple appears to be having a really good time, until one day, Summer dumps Gordon-Levitt's character. The film recalls his 500 days with her.
It's not that Gordon-Levitt had anything against the film that boosted his mainstream popularity along with her screen partner, Zooey Deschanel (who is now the lead star of the hit television series, "New Girl"). He says he really like the film, and it subtlety.
"But a part of the movie that’s less talked about is that once Zooey’s character dumps the guy, he builds himself up without the crutch of a fantasy relationship, and he meets a new girl," Gordo-Levitt tells Playboy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage