Joseph Gordon-Levitt: 'Fall in Love with the Actual Person, not with the Idea'
By Lawrence Villamar | August 16, 2012 12:58 PM EST
"The Dark Knight Rises" star Joseph Gordon-Levitt warns his fans against falling in love with an "idea of the person".
"A lot of boys and girls think their lives will have meaning if they find a partner who wants nothing else in life but them," Levitt told Playboy magazine in an interview.
"That’s not healthy. That’s falling in love with the idea of a person, not the actual person."
Levitt, who shot to fame with the hit "(500) Days of Summers," wants fans of the movie to again watch Marc Webber's film and re-think his character in the movie.
"I would encourage anyone who has a crush on my character to watch it again and examine how selfish he is. He develops a mildly delusional obsession over a girl onto whom he projects all these fantasies. He thinks she’ll give his life meaning because he doesn’t care about much else going on in his life."
In the film, Gordon-Levitt plays an architecture major, who draws greeting cards for a living. He falls hopelessly in love with the new girl at the office named Summer mistaking her for the "one true love". The couple appears to be having a really good time, until one day, Summer dumps Gordon-Levitt's character. The film recalls his 500 days with her.
It's not that Gordon-Levitt had anything against the film that boosted his mainstream popularity along with her screen partner, Zooey Deschanel (who is now the lead star of the hit television series, "New Girl"). He says he really like the film, and it subtlety.
"But a part of the movie that’s less talked about is that once Zooey’s character dumps the guy, he builds himself up without the crutch of a fantasy relationship, and he meets a new girl," Gordo-Levitt tells Playboy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Loses Second Child, Duchess Suffered Miscarriage Before Pregnancy Claims Went Viral – Reports
- Beyonce & Jay Z Fail to Squash Divorce & Cheating Allegations, Couple Barely Speaking on Tour
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Remembering the Betrayal of the Freys
- Eva Mendes-Ryan Gosling Reportedly Split Before Eva's Pregnancy
- Harry Styles-Paige Reifler Dating, Couple Back Together
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide