Shia LaBeouf Swears Off Big-Budget Movies: ‘They Stick A Finger Up Your A--‘
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 16, 2012 6:51 AM EST
Shia LeBeouf rips the big-budget blockbuster movie system a new one in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, lambasting studios that "stick a finger up your [posterior]."
The 26-year-old actor is on the verge of releasing the indie flick "Lawless" on Labor Day, just as "The Company You Keep," directed by Robert Redford, will land at the Venice Film Festival. LeBeouf also wrapped up work on "The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman," which was funded by indie film house Voltage Pictures.
"These dudes are a miracle," he said. "They give you the money, and they trust you -- [unlike the studios, which] give you the money, then get on a plane and come to the set and stick a finger up you're a-- and chase you around for five months."
LeBeouf has successfully upset the establishment in the past, scorning his own turn in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and Steven Spielberg. The actor now regrets the comments.
"He told me there's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars," he said. "It brought me freedom, but it also killed my spirits because this was a dude I looked up to like a sensei."
But don't expect the star to ever star in another summer popcorn movie.
"I'm done," he said. "There's no room for being a visionary in the studio system. It literally cannot exist. You give [acclaimed director] Terrence Malick a movie like 'Transformers,' and he's f--ed. There's no way for him to exist in that world."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga