Photo: XDA Developers
HTC Sensation earlier received CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) based Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update minus the performance optimisation tweaks on an unstable ROM. But the newer CM10 based ROM for Android 4.1.1 includes performance updates and superior customisation options for better overall stability.
Thanks to XDA senior member, bruce2728, the ROM brings a rich set of performance optimised features including faster and smoother interface, advanced voice recognition, Assisted Google Search, enhanced and highly customisable notifications, smarter keyboard and Google Now information cards portraying real-time updates for weather, traffic, etc. On the downside, the ROM may still contain a few bugs and broken features, as this is not an official release.
Here is the complete list of features confirmed as working and those not working:
- Front-facing camera
- WiFi hotspot - use BT tether
- Calls & data
- Hardware acceleration (videos need s/w decoder at moment)
- button lights
- Notification led
- Voice input (GNow)
- Video playback
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable for HTC Sensation model only and will not work with any other device. You can verify your device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- The information given in this guide is meant for reference purpose only and does not cover any warranty claims on device damage or support issues arising out of using this ROM update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup their important personal data (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- It is necessary to ensure that your HTC Sensation has S-Off with its bootloader unlocked. Also, make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed on your phone before proceeding with the ROM installation steps.
How to Install CM10 Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on HTC Sensation
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from XDA Developers official thread (Download here).
2. Download the Google Apps package here.
3. Copy the downloaded zip files from step 1 and step 2 to the SD card.
4. Switch off power of the phone and then boot into Clockworkmod recovery. To do so, press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button together. One you enter the resulting HBOOT menu, press Volume down to select the Recovery option and then press the Power button to select it. In recovery menu, use Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select items.
5. Take a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM, so that you can always restore it if something goes wrong or fails to work with the new ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu after backup is done.
6. Select wipe data/factory reset, then hit Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until the data wipe process completes.
7. Select install zip from sdcard, then tap choose zip from sdcard. Scroll to locate the ROM file on the SD card and select it. Confirm installation by selecting Yes - Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM will begin installing.
8. Once ROM is installed, hit choose zip from sdcard again, then select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps package.
9. After Google apps is completely installed, select go back then tap reboot system now to reboot the phone into CM10. You may have to wait a while as the first boot may take up to 5 minutes.
10. Finally, it is important that you perform a couple of tweaks mentioned below after the phone boots up, at least until the ROM gets fixed updates:
- After first boot, go to Settings > Performance > Processor and set the minimum CPU frequency to 384 MHz, then tick the option: "Set on boot"
- Now, every time the phone boots up (including the first time), go to Settings > Developer options and tick "Disable HD overlays".
NOTE: To go back to your previous ROM, boot into recovery (as given in step 4), select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
CM10, based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now installed on your HTC Sensation.
[Source: The Android Soul]
To contact the editor, e-mail: