NHL News: New Round of Labor Talks Looming
August 14, 2012 10:45 AM EST
(Reuters) - The National Hockey League will learn how wide a gap it faces in labor talks that threaten the 2012-13 season when the players' union delivers a counterproposal on the core economic issues this week.
After meetings last week in an effort to agree to terms on a new labor deal, the two sides have scheduled four meetings this week in a bid to avoid another lockout like the one that wiped out the entire 2004-05 NHL season.
If a new deal is not reached before the current collective bargaining agreement expires on September 15, the NHL could impose a lockout that would threaten regular season play and test the patience of fans.
After last week's negotiations in New York, the NHL Players Association said it expects this week to make an official response to the proposal that was submitted by the league on July 13.
The sides are meeting on Monday at the NHL's Toronto office with talks also scheduled for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the NHLPA's Toronto headquarters.
While both sides have reached common ground on some smaller issues, including player safety, there remains a significant gap with regards to the economics of a new labor agreement as many teams feel they cannot survive under the current system.
The NHL wants to reduce the players' share of hockey-related revenues to 46 percent from 57 percent despite enjoying record-breaking revenue of $3.3. billion last season along with an increase in television ratings.
That gives the two sides barely a month to sort out their issues before training camps for the 2012-13 NHL season could face delays or cancellations.
The NHL's 82-game regular season is currently scheduled to open on October 11 with eight teams in action.
(Reporting by Frank Pingue; Editing by Steve Ginsburg)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge