Chelsea may have, in theory, finalized their preparations for the upcoming season with their 3-2 Community Shield defeat to Manchester City on Sunday, but the club looks to be far from finished in their efforts to reshape their squad.
Despite still being linked to Chelsea, Edinson Cavani opened the scoring for Napoli in their Supercoppa Italiana defeat to Juventus on Saturday.
While Fernando Torres scored with a fine poacher's finish to open the scoring at Villa Park, the Blues are still thought to be chasing a new striker. Having allowed Romelu Lukaku to go on a season-long loan to West Brom, Roberto Di Matteo has just Torres and Daniel Sturridge at his disposal from the first-team ranks.
One name that continues to be linked as a possible signing to help fill the void left by Didier Drogba's departure is Edinson Cavani. In the latest speculation, the Daily Star claims that Chelsea will try to tempt Napoli into selling their prized front man by offering midfielder Raul Meireles in part exchange.
Napoli were reported to be interested in signing the Portuguese international, who Chelsea are said to value at £9 million, earlier in the summer. Despite Napoli's understandable hesitation to part with the prolific Uruguayan, the story claims that Chelsea are confident of sealing a deal worth just under £30 million.
While Sturridge currently provides the only cover for Torres, the former Manchester City man has almost solely been used in a less-favored wide role at Stamford Bridge. With Sturridge also featuring only minimally once Di Matteo took the reins last season, speculation has suggested that the England international could be on his way out this summer. Di Matteo has moved to quash those claims, however.
"I see him as part of my plans, absolutely," stated the newly-installed permanent boss, according to TalkSport.
"He's part of the squad and the team, and still has a lot to give.
"He still has a lot to learn as well, but we're hopeful he can develop even more and become a fantastic and great player for us."
Sturridge's future may be further called into question, though, if Chelsea complete the signing of Victor Moses. The Blues have lodged several bids for the 21-year-old wide forward, but have so far been frustrated by Wigan's valuation of £10 million.
Reports over the weekend, however, suggested that a compromise had been reached for £9 million. Although, according to Moses' agent, Neil Fewings, that speculation is wide of the mark.
"Reports that a £9m deal has been agreed between Chelsea and Wigan are not true," Fewings said, according to Sky Sports.
Chelsea could also still be in the running to sign Porto forward Hulk. A deal had appeared all but dead as Porto continued to hold on for a lofty valuation, that many reports put as an incredible £60 million.
According to the Daily Mirror, Chelsea have already had a bid of £30 million rejected. Yet, the latest words from the player himself may encourage further negotiations.
"This could be the time for me to move," said Hulk. "I would feel comfortable with moving clubs and the English league is one that appeals to me."
Given Porto's current stance it may take substantial agitation from the Brazilian in order to force through a move.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Australia Bids Adieu to Adam Spencer's Mornings on ABC's "702 Breakfast" Show [PHOTOS]
- Top 10 Hottest Celebrities with Shocking Weight Loss (And Find Out Their Secrets!) [PHOTOS]
- Mars Curiosity Rover Photos: UFO Hunter Spots Strange 'Ruins,' 'Missile' [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
- Miranda Kerr Exposes Breasts to Crew, Wardrobe Malfunction 'Deliberate Accident?' [PHOTOS]