Slimmed down custom ROMs are in great demand among Android smartphone users, thanks to their lightweight design and user-friendly interface. Android users can now relish more storage space on their Android phones. The ROM size is hardly 80 to 90 MB, and includes custom home launcher, besides adding smaller DPI value for higher density of text. Thus it offers enhanced image clarity for a seamless Android experience.
Thanks to XDA Developers member krarvind, the follow-up ROM to the immensely popular Slim ICS series of ROMs is now available for the international Galaxy Nexus (GT-I9250) and the Verizon variant (SCH-I515) models. As the Slim Bean ROM is still in its nascent stages of development, a few minor bugs like slow GPS connection are expected to exist. Despite the known bugs, the software is expected to work fine with all other updated features, while the developers have assured a fix for these bugs very soon.
Key Points to Note
- The Slim Bean ROM and the instructions in this guide will work only with the international GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 or Verizon's Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515. It is not compatible with any other device or model and may lead to unwanted results.
- The instructions provided in this guide are for reference purpose only and do not imply any responsibility or support for warranty claims in case of issues arising out of using this ROM update. Users should proceed at their own risk.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup their important personal data on the phone (contacts, SMS, MMS, internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, etc) to avoid loss of data while performing the Jelly Bean update.
1. Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 or Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 smartphone should have ClockworkMod recovery installed with bootloader unlocked before proceeding with the Slim Bean ROM installation.
2. Download the following files:
3. Ensure that your phone battery is fully charged or has at least 60 percent charge before you start the ROM installation procedure. This should be done to prevent your phone from shutting down unexpectedly during installation due to low battery charge.
How to Install Slim Bean Based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250
Step 1: Copy the ROM Zip file and Common_1.x.zip to your phone's internal SD card.
Step 2: Switch off pPower of your phone.
Step 3: Press and hold down the Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down buttons together to boot into Fastboot Mode. Now, you should see the word "START" on the screen written in bold green letters.
Step 4: Using the Volume buttons, navigate through the menu options and highlight Recovery Mode. Now, select it using the Power button to reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
Step 5: Wipe the data on your phone (skip this step if you are upgrading the previous version of this ROM)
- Select Wipe data/factory reset. Confirm wipe by tapping Yes. Wait until the data wipe completes.
- Go to Mounts and Storage. Now, select Format /system on the next screen.
Step 6: Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
Step 7: Return to the main menu and hit Advanced. Under this menu, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
Step 8: Select Install ZIP from SD card then tap Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse and locate the ROM ZIP file extracted to the SD card in step 1. Confirm installation by clicking Yes.
NOTE: If the installation process finishes under 5 seconds, reflash the ROM file to your mobile phone.
Step 9: Once the installation completes, select Choose ZIP From SD Card again and flash the Common_1.x.zip.
Step 10: After flashing the zip file, return to the main recovery menu. Now, hit Reboot system now to boot up your phone to the Slim Bean ROM.
Android 4.1.1-based Slim Bean ROM is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
[Source: Android Authority]
To contact the editor, e-mail: