Blood Brothers Bows out of West End after 20-Year Run
By Toyin Owoseje | August 7, 2012 3:13 AM EST
The long-running musical, Blood Brothers is set to close at the Phoenix Theatre on 27 October after more than two decades in the West End.
With more than 10,000 performances notched up, Willy Russell's hugely successful production is the third longest running musical to ever play in the West End.
The award-winning musical, which started as a school play, made its debut in the West End in April 1983 at the Lyric Theatre but closed later that year.
The current production opened in 1988 at the Albery (now the Noël Coward) before transferring to the Phoenix in 1991.
Stars over the years have included Barbara Dixon, Antony Costa, Kiki Dee, Melanie Chisholm and Niki Evan. The show has played on Broadway and across America.
A spokesperson for Bill Kenwright Ltd, the production company behind the hit, said: "This is the end of a chapter but by no means the end of Blood Brothers."
The musical tells the story of the Johnstone twins who are separated at birth and end up at different ends of the social spectrum before they are reunited by fate.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected