Blood Brothers Bows out of West End after 20-Year Run
By Toyin Owoseje | August 7, 2012 3:13 AM EST
The long-running musical, Blood Brothers is set to close at the Phoenix Theatre on 27 October after more than two decades in the West End.
With more than 10,000 performances notched up, Willy Russell's hugely successful production is the third longest running musical to ever play in the West End.
The award-winning musical, which started as a school play, made its debut in the West End in April 1983 at the Lyric Theatre but closed later that year.
The current production opened in 1988 at the Albery (now the Noël Coward) before transferring to the Phoenix in 1991.
Stars over the years have included Barbara Dixon, Antony Costa, Kiki Dee, Melanie Chisholm and Niki Evan. The show has played on Broadway and across America.
A spokesperson for Bill Kenwright Ltd, the production company behind the hit, said: "This is the end of a chapter but by no means the end of Blood Brothers."
The musical tells the story of the Johnstone twins who are separated at birth and end up at different ends of the social spectrum before they are reunited by fate.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage