Blood Brothers Bows out of West End after 20-Year Run
By Toyin Owoseje | August 7, 2012 3:13 AM EST
The long-running musical, Blood Brothers is set to close at the Phoenix Theatre on 27 October after more than two decades in the West End.
With more than 10,000 performances notched up, Willy Russell's hugely successful production is the third longest running musical to ever play in the West End.
The award-winning musical, which started as a school play, made its debut in the West End in April 1983 at the Lyric Theatre but closed later that year.
The current production opened in 1988 at the Albery (now the Noël Coward) before transferring to the Phoenix in 1991.
Stars over the years have included Barbara Dixon, Antony Costa, Kiki Dee, Melanie Chisholm and Niki Evan. The show has played on Broadway and across America.
A spokesperson for Bill Kenwright Ltd, the production company behind the hit, said: "This is the end of a chapter but by no means the end of Blood Brothers."
The musical tells the story of the Johnstone twins who are separated at birth and end up at different ends of the social spectrum before they are reunited by fate.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate