Michael Phelps Continues To Rewrite Olympic Record Books
By J.J. McGrath | August 4, 2012 12:09 PM EST
The amazing Michael Phelps won his third gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games -- and the 17th of his storied Olympic career -- as the swimmer scored a sensational come-from-behind victory in the 100-meter butterfly on Friday.
The American Phelps covered the distance in 51.21 seconds, besting the South African Chad le Clos and the Russian Evgeny Korotyshkin, who placed second and third, in that order, with official times of 51.44 seconds.
Incredibly, Phelps also won the 100-meter butterfly at the Athens 2004 Olympics and the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
With the event the final individual race of Phelps' career, he told the Associated Press, "I'm just happy that the last one was a win. That's all I really wanted coming into the night."
Phelps will compete in his final race of any kind on Saturday. It is the 4X100 medley relay, a race the U.S. men's swimming team has dominated since it made its debut at the Rome 1960 Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy