Michael Phelps Continues To Rewrite Olympic Record Books
By J.J. McGrath | August 4, 2012 12:09 PM EST
The amazing Michael Phelps won his third gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games -- and the 17th of his storied Olympic career -- as the swimmer scored a sensational come-from-behind victory in the 100-meter butterfly on Friday.
The American Phelps covered the distance in 51.21 seconds, besting the South African Chad le Clos and the Russian Evgeny Korotyshkin, who placed second and third, in that order, with official times of 51.44 seconds.
Incredibly, Phelps also won the 100-meter butterfly at the Athens 2004 Olympics and the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
With the event the final individual race of Phelps' career, he told the Associated Press, "I'm just happy that the last one was a win. That's all I really wanted coming into the night."
Phelps will compete in his final race of any kind on Saturday. It is the 4X100 medley relay, a race the U.S. men's swimming team has dominated since it made its debut at the Rome 1960 Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine