Michael Phelps Continues To Rewrite Olympic Record Books
By J.J. McGrath | August 4, 2012 12:09 PM EST
The amazing Michael Phelps won his third gold medal of the London 2012 Olympic Games -- and the 17th of his storied Olympic career -- as the swimmer scored a sensational come-from-behind victory in the 100-meter butterfly on Friday.
The American Phelps covered the distance in 51.21 seconds, besting the South African Chad le Clos and the Russian Evgeny Korotyshkin, who placed second and third, in that order, with official times of 51.44 seconds.
Incredibly, Phelps also won the 100-meter butterfly at the Athens 2004 Olympics and the Beijing 2008 Olympics.
With the event the final individual race of Phelps' career, he told the Associated Press, "I'm just happy that the last one was a win. That's all I really wanted coming into the night."
Phelps will compete in his final race of any kind on Saturday. It is the 4X100 medley relay, a race the U.S. men's swimming team has dominated since it made its debut at the Rome 1960 Olympics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29