Australian Women Swimming Team Reads ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ During London 2012 Olympics
By Kristin Dian Mariano | August 3, 2012 9:05 AM EST
The women swimming team of Australian recently snatched the gold at the ongoing London 2012 Olympics. The girls admit that reading the erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey," helped them relax during the competition.
The female swimmers admit that they are all reading the steamy novel as a form of relaxation while competing in the Olympics. There is too much pressure in the sporting events and athletes need a way to vent out stress.
It seems that reading the series of novels works for the Aussie athletes. Alicia Coutts along with her team mates Cate Campbell, Brittany Elmslie and Melanie Schlange who won the gold medal for the women's 4x100m freestyle relay at the weekend.
200m individual medley silver medalist Alicia Coutts said that she became hooked on the book after picking it at a service station when she and the 20 other members of the team travelled from their training camp in Manchester to the Athletes Village in East London.
"Most of the swimming girls are reading Fifty Shades of Grey. We're all talking about it. Everyone has been talking about it. My manager said just forget about the sex bits and it's actually a really good story. I've found it really interesting. I can't put it down," Coutts told the Herald Sun.
The swimmer also said that she is already reading the second installment of the erotic trilogy, "Fifty Shades Darker."
2008 Beijing Olympics Gold medalist Stephanie Rice also admitted being a fan of E.L. James' creation and recently tweeted a picture of herself holding the book. Unfortunately, Rice failed to bring home a medal from this year's worldwide sporting event.
Australia now have 1 gold, 7 silver and 3 bronze medals from the Olympics. Australia has always been feared in swimming because of its powerhouse athletes.
It seems that celebrities are also catching the "Fifty Shades of Grey" fever. Former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham said in an interview that she also reads the book and even recommended the book to her mother but is too embarrassed to discuss its contents.
"I'm halfway through the second one," the fashion mogul told the new issue of America's Glamour magazine.
"I even bought my mum the book! But every time she tries to engage in conversation about it, I kind of dodge the subject. I don't really want to talk to my mother about S&M." added Beckham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation