Australian Women Swimming Team Reads ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ During London 2012 Olympics
By Kristin Dian Mariano | August 3, 2012 9:05 AM EST
The women swimming team of Australian recently snatched the gold at the ongoing London 2012 Olympics. The girls admit that reading the erotic novel, "Fifty Shades of Grey," helped them relax during the competition.
The female swimmers admit that they are all reading the steamy novel as a form of relaxation while competing in the Olympics. There is too much pressure in the sporting events and athletes need a way to vent out stress.
It seems that reading the series of novels works for the Aussie athletes. Alicia Coutts along with her team mates Cate Campbell, Brittany Elmslie and Melanie Schlange who won the gold medal for the women's 4x100m freestyle relay at the weekend.
200m individual medley silver medalist Alicia Coutts said that she became hooked on the book after picking it at a service station when she and the 20 other members of the team travelled from their training camp in Manchester to the Athletes Village in East London.
"Most of the swimming girls are reading Fifty Shades of Grey. We're all talking about it. Everyone has been talking about it. My manager said just forget about the sex bits and it's actually a really good story. I've found it really interesting. I can't put it down," Coutts told the Herald Sun.
The swimmer also said that she is already reading the second installment of the erotic trilogy, "Fifty Shades Darker."
2008 Beijing Olympics Gold medalist Stephanie Rice also admitted being a fan of E.L. James' creation and recently tweeted a picture of herself holding the book. Unfortunately, Rice failed to bring home a medal from this year's worldwide sporting event.
Australia now have 1 gold, 7 silver and 3 bronze medals from the Olympics. Australia has always been feared in swimming because of its powerhouse athletes.
It seems that celebrities are also catching the "Fifty Shades of Grey" fever. Former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham said in an interview that she also reads the book and even recommended the book to her mother but is too embarrassed to discuss its contents.
"I'm halfway through the second one," the fashion mogul told the new issue of America's Glamour magazine.
"I even bought my mum the book! But every time she tries to engage in conversation about it, I kind of dodge the subject. I don't really want to talk to my mother about S&M." added Beckham.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display