After four days of stiff and neck and neck competition in the 2012 London Olympics, Australia's total medal tally has so far reached six - one gold, three silver and two bronze. Australia's standing is in the 12th place on the medal tally.
Medal Tally as of August 1, 2012 at the 2012 London Olympics
The latest additions came from Alicia Coutts and Bronte Barratt who cornered the silver and bronze, respectively, in the pool competition. Ms Coutts almost came close to reaching the gold, but was stopped by just over half a second short by Chinese sensation Ye Shiwen in the women's 200m individual medley. Ye's Olympic record time was two minutes and 7.57 seconds.
Before the games started, it was tipped that Australia will go close to matching the 14 golds it won during the 2008 games in Beijing, according to online bookmakers sportsbet.com.au.
But with its poor start in the pool, many punters see the Aussies going even worse than that, Ben Hawes of sportsbet.com.au said.
"In the last 24 hours, punters have really started backing Australia to come home with less than ten gold medals, so much so that Australia finishing with five or less gold medals has firmed from $26 into $14," Mr Hawes said.
"And Australia to win eight or nine gold medals has firmed from $6.50 into $3.50 while Australia to win six or seven gold medals has come in from $11 to $5."
If for any consolation, Australia is still far off better at least than host nation Great Britain which has yet to taste its first gold after four days of competition.
Day 4 highlights of the 2012 London Olympics:
- Alicia Coutts now has a medal in each category - gold, silver and bronze - after her second place swim in the 200m individual medley.
- James Magnussen may become Australia's final golden hope in the pool after getting qualified in the finals for the mens 100m freestyle.
- Bronte Barratt got the bronze behind American Allison Schmitt in the 200m freestyle.
- In tennis Australian Lleyton Hewitt defeated Marin Cilic from Croatia 6-4, 7-5
- American swimmer Mark Phelps' medal haul so far has reached a total of 19 Olympic medals, becoming the most decorated Olympiad, after winning the mens 4x200m freestyle relay.
- Royal member Zara Phillips won a silver in the equestrian, the first among the royals to win an Olympic medal.
- The US Girls Gymnastics Team won the first US Olympic title in women's gymnastics since 1996.
- Chinese teen swimming sensation Ye Shiwen now has two gold medals after beating Alicia Coutts in the 400m individual medley. She likewise broke her own Olympic record to seize the gold in the 200m individual medley title.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Australia Bids Adieu to Adam Spencer's Mornings on ABC's "702 Breakfast" Show [PHOTOS]
- Top 10 Hottest Celebrities with Shocking Weight Loss (And Find Out Their Secrets!) [PHOTOS]
- SEE PHOTOS! Eva Longoria Wears No Panties at Cannes 2013, Revealed in Embarrassing Wardrobe Malfunction [SLIDESHOW]
- Demi Lovato Snapped Getting Flirty with The X-Factor Boss, Simon Cowell? [PHOTOS]