Maeve Binchy, Prolific Irish Writer, Dead At Age 72, Complete List Of Best Selling Author's Books
By Carey Vanderborg | August 1, 2012 2:32 AM EST
Best-selling Irish writer Maeve Binchy died on Monday, July 30, following a short illness. She was 72.
Binchy crossed over to the U.S. market with her humorous take on small-town life in Ireland, her descriptive characters, her interest in human nature and her often clever surprise endings.
Throughout her career, the renowned Irish novelist has sold more than 40 million books around the world. Binchy had a best-seller in her first novel, 1982's "Light a Penny Candle," and eventually became one of the most-adored Irish writers of her generation.
After she graduated from the University College Dublin, Binchy began her career as a teacher and eventually became a journalist at "The Irish Times." She would later go on to become a prolific writer of novels and short stories.
Binchy published a total of 16 novels, including "The Lilac Bus and Echoes," "Circle of Friends," How About You" and "Tara Road" -- all of which were made into feature motion pictures or TV movies. She also wrote four short-story collections, a play and a novella. Most of her writings have been translated into 30 languages, according to the Guardian.
Binchy spoke to the Irish Times on July 3, 2010, about her life. "I don't have any regrets about any roads I didn't take. Everything went well, and I think that's been a help because I can look back, and I do get great pleasure out of looking back. ... I've been very lucky and I have a happy old age with good family and friends still around."
She passed away in a hospital in Dublin, with her husband, writer Gordon Snell, by her side, according to the Irish Times.
Check below for a full list of Binchy's books.
Binchy's works, in chronological order
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]