Maeve Binchy, Prolific Irish Writer, Dead At Age 72, Complete List Of Best Selling Author's Books
By Carey Vanderborg | August 1, 2012 2:32 AM EST
Best-selling Irish writer Maeve Binchy died on Monday, July 30, following a short illness. She was 72.
Binchy crossed over to the U.S. market with her humorous take on small-town life in Ireland, her descriptive characters, her interest in human nature and her often clever surprise endings.
Throughout her career, the renowned Irish novelist has sold more than 40 million books around the world. Binchy had a best-seller in her first novel, 1982's "Light a Penny Candle," and eventually became one of the most-adored Irish writers of her generation.
After she graduated from the University College Dublin, Binchy began her career as a teacher and eventually became a journalist at "The Irish Times." She would later go on to become a prolific writer of novels and short stories.
Binchy published a total of 16 novels, including "The Lilac Bus and Echoes," "Circle of Friends," How About You" and "Tara Road" -- all of which were made into feature motion pictures or TV movies. She also wrote four short-story collections, a play and a novella. Most of her writings have been translated into 30 languages, according to the Guardian.
Binchy spoke to the Irish Times on July 3, 2010, about her life. "I don't have any regrets about any roads I didn't take. Everything went well, and I think that's been a help because I can look back, and I do get great pleasure out of looking back. ... I've been very lucky and I have a happy old age with good family and friends still around."
She passed away in a hospital in Dublin, with her husband, writer Gordon Snell, by her side, according to the Irish Times.
Check below for a full list of Binchy's books.
Binchy's works, in chronological order
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0