Maeve Binchy, Prolific Irish Writer, Dead At Age 72, Complete List Of Best Selling Author's Books
By Carey Vanderborg | August 1, 2012 2:32 AM EST
Best-selling Irish writer Maeve Binchy died on Monday, July 30, following a short illness. She was 72.
Binchy crossed over to the U.S. market with her humorous take on small-town life in Ireland, her descriptive characters, her interest in human nature and her often clever surprise endings.
Throughout her career, the renowned Irish novelist has sold more than 40 million books around the world. Binchy had a best-seller in her first novel, 1982's "Light a Penny Candle," and eventually became one of the most-adored Irish writers of her generation.
After she graduated from the University College Dublin, Binchy began her career as a teacher and eventually became a journalist at "The Irish Times." She would later go on to become a prolific writer of novels and short stories.
Binchy published a total of 16 novels, including "The Lilac Bus and Echoes," "Circle of Friends," How About You" and "Tara Road" -- all of which were made into feature motion pictures or TV movies. She also wrote four short-story collections, a play and a novella. Most of her writings have been translated into 30 languages, according to the Guardian.
Binchy spoke to the Irish Times on July 3, 2010, about her life. "I don't have any regrets about any roads I didn't take. Everything went well, and I think that's been a help because I can look back, and I do get great pleasure out of looking back. ... I've been very lucky and I have a happy old age with good family and friends still around."
She passed away in a hospital in Dublin, with her husband, writer Gordon Snell, by her side, according to the Irish Times.
Check below for a full list of Binchy's books.
Binchy's works, in chronological order
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal