Gina Rinehart Loses Another Battle as Court Orders Her to Pay Kids’ Legal Cost
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 31, 2012 10:09 AM EST
On top of losing her court bid to keep details of her family court feud secret, Australia's richest woman, Gina Rinehart, was ordered on Monday by the Court of Appeal to shoulder the legal bills of her three estranged adult children in the amount of $250,000.
It was her three children who requested the Court of Appeal to order their mother to shoulder their costs.
The legal costs arose from a petition by Ms Rinehart to suppress release of the juicy details of family feud as Hope and Bianca Rinehart and John Hancock sought the removal of their mother from heading the family trusted established by the family patriarch, Lang Hancock, due to her alleged gross dishonesty and deceitfulness is the manner she handled the trust.
Ms Rinehart's petition was dismissed by the court in January which led to details of the family battle for wealth published such as long email exchanges between family members with the kids complaining they don't have money for their upkeep.
Besides being ordered to pay for the legal bills of her children, Ms Rinehart was also asked to should the cost of media companies that opposed the suppression orders. In arguing against paying the legal cost, Ms Rinehart said she successfully got a limited stay in January and she was acting reasonably in seeking a repression order while her adult kids and the media acted unreasonably by refusing to follow the suppression order.
However, Chief Justice Tom Bathurst rejected the argument of the world's richest woman.
"The fact remains that the applicants were not successful before this court, and there is no reason why costs should not follow the events," Mr Bathurst wrote in his decision.
It is not only her family which wanted her out of the trust, but also Fairfax Media which refused Ms Rinehart's bid for a director's seat in the company board despite her being the largest shareholder. The move prompted Ms Rinehart to reduce her holdings in Fairfax to 15 per cent from 19 per cent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- Human Barbie: Ukranian Teenager Lolita Richi Comes Out As A New Human Barbie, Possible Valeria Lukyanova Rival
- Kate Middleton Cried During Visit To London Tower With Prince William--- Reports
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff