Recent UFO Sightings in Canada and Australia Mean Need for Further Studies - Researchers
By Arlene Paredes | July 25, 2012 3:10 PM EST
A study of unidentified flying objects in Canada shows a record high number of sightings in 2011, prompting researchers to suggest further studies into the subject.
Ufology Research, which has recorded UFO sightings in Canada since 1989, said there were 986 sighting reports in 2011. This figure is close to the 1,004 sightings recorded in 2008.
Ontario has the most number of sightings, with 406.
The study notes only 11 per cent of the sightings could not be explained. The rest were determined to be regular lights in the sky.
"Results of this study show many people continue to report unusual objects in the sky, and some of these objects do not have obvious explanations. Many witnesses are pilots, police and other individuals with reasonably good observing capabilities and good judgement," the study notes.
However, none of these sightings were linked to alien contacts.
"Popular opinion to the contrary, there is no incontrovertible evidence that some UFO cases involve extraterrestrial contact."
The study recommends a deeper look into the UFO phenomenon by social, medical and physical scientists.
UFO sightings in Australia
For his part, Australian UFO investigator Doug Moffett says people should see the scientific possibility of alien UFOs. He laments that many people typically deem UFO sightings to be unworthy of further studies.
At least one of the June 2012 sightings in Australia remains inexplicable.
UFO confusion and hoaxes
Some UFO observations are misidentified conventional objects or natural phenomena, according to studies. Aircraft, balloons, noctilucent clouds, nacreous clouds often create illusions to the naked eye, making one believe that a strange unidentified object is flying across the sky.Meteors and bright planets are also mistaken for UFOs. On top of these typical mistakes, there are people deliberately creating UFO hoaxes for attention and publicity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine