You probably know that Mayim Bialik first became a popular TV personality for her role as Blossom Russo on NBC's Blossom (1990-1994).
Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons at the Comic-Con 2011.
You also probably know that Bialik is nominated this year for Emmy's "Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series."
Now here are seven of the things you probably did not know about The Big Bang Theory's Amy Farrah Fowler:
7. Mayim means "water" in Hebrew. Her grandparents emigrated from Poland in the late 1930s.
6. Bialik is married and has two sons. She is a spokesperson for Holistic Moms Network.
5. Bialik is a vegan. Speaking to ecorazzi.com, the actress said she does not even wear leather products.
"My husband and I just finished reading the Jonathan Safran Foer book, "Eating Animals," and that just pushed me over the top. I didn't eat fish, chicken, meat or dairy for years, but if there was a birthday cake or something, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But once I read the book, the full portrait of what was going on really moved me more than I even wanted to be moved," Bialik said.
4. Bialik was already acting in the 1980s. She appeared in the 1998 iconic film Beaches as the young C.C. Bloom. Bette Midler takes over for the older C.C.
3. "Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way" is the title of Dr. Bialik's book. She also writes for online publications targeted to Jewish parents.
2. Bialik was mentioned in the first season of the Big Bang Theory. In the 13th episode (The Bat Jar Conjecture), Rajesh Koothrappali (played by Kunal Nayyar) said to the gang:
"You know who's apparently very smart -- the girl who played TV's Blossom. She got a Ph.D. in Neuroscience or something."
1. Bialik is no stranger to the character of neurobiology wiz Amy Farrah Fowler. Jim Parsons' love interest in the hit sitcom is portrayed by a real and legit PhD.
According to Bialik's website, she "received her B.S. in Neuroscience and Hebrew and Jewish Studies from UCLA in 2000 and earned a Ph.D. in Neuroscience in 2007 from UCLA, specializing in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in adolescents with Prader-Willi syndrome."
When the 'Big Bang' cast returns in the fall, fans will see how Amy's relationship with Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) will evolve. Parsons is also nominated at this year's Emmy's for the "Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series" category.
All the best for TBBT's "ShAmy" at the Emmy's.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Australia Bids Adieu to Adam Spencer's Mornings on ABC's "702 Breakfast" Show [PHOTOS]
- Top 10 Hottest Celebrities with Shocking Weight Loss (And Find Out Their Secrets!) [PHOTOS]
- Mars Curiosity Rover Photos: UFO Hunter Spots Strange 'Ruins,' 'Missile' [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
- Miranda Kerr Exposes Breasts to Crew, Wardrobe Malfunction 'Deliberate Accident?' [PHOTOS]