Rapper Pitbull Headed To Alaska After Pranksters Hijack Wal-Mart Promotion
By Jeff Stone | July 19, 2012 10:03 AM EST
Rapper Pitbull has made it official: He's headed to Alaska. In a promotional partnership with Wal-Mart and Sheets energy strips, the "Back in Time" rapper agreed to visit and perform at whichever Wal-Mart in the U.S. received the most "likes" on Facebook. What he probably didn't consider, though, is that some Internet pranksters would hijack the competition and have their own campaign that would send him to the remote island of Kodiak, Alaska.
As of the 2010 Census, the population of Kodiak was 6,130 people. Oddly enough, the store received more than 71,000 "likes" at the behest of David Thorpe and Jon Hendren of the prank website "Something Awful." The twitter hashtag #ExilePitbull was Thorpe and Hendren's weapon of choice.
Along with his visit to Wal-Mart, Pitbull should consider making time to use some of the "bear repellent, snow shoes, and hunting gear" that store sells (via Reddit).
In a YouTube video posted on Tuesday Pitbull accepted his fate and even called out the pranksters in question.
"I heard that Kodiak, Alaska, has the most likes due to someone that thinks he was playing a prank," Pitbull said. "You gotta understand I will go anywhere in the world for my fans ... with that said I want to invite that someone who thinks it's a joke to come with me."
According to the Associated Press via the Celebrity Café, Thorpe responded by saying he first needs to "raise the funds to get to Kodiak on my own, since Pitbull's invitation doesn't include me actually getting there." Thorpe had previously said that he doesn't have any problem with the mall-rapper, and just thought it would be funny to disrupt the Wal-Mart campaign.
Tuesday morning Thorpe even tweeted "ever have one of those days where you get called out by @Pitbull and it's not even noon?"
Pitbull, who also has the hit singles "Give Me Everything" and "Hotel Room Service," will be making the appearance more than 4,000 miles from the city he calls home, Miami.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4