'B--l Cutter' Fish Found In Illinois Lake
By Jeff Stone | July 9, 2012 8:31 AM EST
The summer just got a whole lot hotter for anyone looking to cool off in Illinois' Lake Lou Yaeger, where anglers accidentally discovered a fish that's commonly known as the "b--l cutter."
When lake superintendent Jim Caldwell responded to a call from fishermen who thought they had nabbed a piranha, he had no reason to think otherwise. That was until he brought the fish to the attention of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and its staffers told him the fish was in fact a pacu, according to KSDK.com. Like the piranha, the pacu is native to the Amazon River, but unlike the piranha, a fan of all kinds of meat, the pacu tends to focus on male testicles.
A pacu can be as long as three feet and weigh as much as 55 pounds, according to Animal Planet. The pacu's diet is mostly made up of insects, snails, fruits, and -- nuts. It's a mystery how they made it to Lake Lou Yaeger, but officials told the Journal News of Hillsboro, Ill., they suspect the fish were dumped illegally after being raised in a home aquarium.
Although the pacu is closely related to the piranha, the two differ in the shape of their teeth. A piranha has jagged teeth, while a pacu has square teeth, similar to those of a human. There are no known reports about how castration differs experientially between the varieties of fish.
Last year, the pacu was responsible for two deaths in Papua New Guinea, where the fish has been introduced to combat overfishing, according to the Mail of London. After having their testicles ripped off by the beast's powerful jaws, two men died due to massive blood loss. The muscular fish's teeth are designed for cracking nuts.
By most accounts, the carp-size fish is generally shy, although its affinity for snacking on things that look like snails has scared off many male swimmers in Lake Lou Yaeger. The good news for the sweaty masses is that the tropical fish will not be able to survive the cold Illinois winter. Until then, castrations are free.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine