'B--l Cutter' Fish Found In Illinois Lake
By Jeff Stone | July 9, 2012 8:31 AM EST
The summer just got a whole lot hotter for anyone looking to cool off in Illinois' Lake Lou Yaeger, where anglers accidentally discovered a fish that's commonly known as the "b--l cutter."
When lake superintendent Jim Caldwell responded to a call from fishermen who thought they had nabbed a piranha, he had no reason to think otherwise. That was until he brought the fish to the attention of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and its staffers told him the fish was in fact a pacu, according to KSDK.com. Like the piranha, the pacu is native to the Amazon River, but unlike the piranha, a fan of all kinds of meat, the pacu tends to focus on male testicles.
A pacu can be as long as three feet and weigh as much as 55 pounds, according to Animal Planet. The pacu's diet is mostly made up of insects, snails, fruits, and -- nuts. It's a mystery how they made it to Lake Lou Yaeger, but officials told the Journal News of Hillsboro, Ill., they suspect the fish were dumped illegally after being raised in a home aquarium.
Although the pacu is closely related to the piranha, the two differ in the shape of their teeth. A piranha has jagged teeth, while a pacu has square teeth, similar to those of a human. There are no known reports about how castration differs experientially between the varieties of fish.
Last year, the pacu was responsible for two deaths in Papua New Guinea, where the fish has been introduced to combat overfishing, according to the Mail of London. After having their testicles ripped off by the beast's powerful jaws, two men died due to massive blood loss. The muscular fish's teeth are designed for cracking nuts.
By most accounts, the carp-size fish is generally shy, although its affinity for snacking on things that look like snails has scared off many male swimmers in Lake Lou Yaeger. The good news for the sweaty masses is that the tropical fish will not be able to survive the cold Illinois winter. Until then, castrations are free.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People