The first firmware with Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)) for the Samsung Galaxy S2 has been leaked ahead of its official release, according to Sammobile. The Galaxy S2 is presently running Android 4.0.3 and was not scheduled for a v4.0.4 update for another couple of months.
Android 4.0.4 ICS update for Samsung
Galaxy S2 has been leaked.
Earlier reports suggested Samsung would not update the Galaxy S2 to 4.0.4 and stop with a major update to 4.0.3 and minor fixes afterwards. However, news that a ROM leak for a 4.0.4 update has occurred clearly contradicts that report. This should be good news, given the consensus that 4.0.4 is generally smoother and faster than 4.0.3.
The Galaxy S2, launched last year and easily one of the best-selling smartphones in recent times, features a 4.3in Super AMOLED display and a high resolution eight megapixel rear-facing camera and a two megapixel front camera. It is powered by an Exynos dual-core Cortex-A9 processor and has 1GB of RAM. The device was launched with the Android 2.3 (Ginger Bread) software.
However, the leaked firmware update is compatible only with the Galaxy S2 I9100; to confirm your mobile's model number, navigate to Settings > About Phone.
Meanwhile, the update procedure is considered risky and users are advised to stick strictly to the instructions given. In addition, before going through these procedures, back-up all apps, data and settings, as well as APN settings
How to Install Software Update
- Download Samsung Kies (32 bit (x86) Windows, 64 bit (x64) Windows)
- Download firmware XXLQ5 (387MB)
- Extract download.zip for the following files
- I9100_CODE_ I9100 XXLQ5_CL753921_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
- MODEM_ I9100 XXLQ5_ REV_02_CL1165929.tar.md5
- Download Odin 1.85 and extract contents
- Disconnect phone from external sources and reboot
- Keep Galaxy S2 in Download Mode (press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power. A warning screen will come up. Press Volume Up to enter Download Mode)
- Open Odin and double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe
- Connect phone to PC. You will get a message saying ADDED in Odin's message box
- In Odin, follow these steps
- Click on PDA and select I9100_CODE_ I9100XXLQ5_CL753921_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Click on Phone and select MODEM_ I9100XXLQ5_Rev_02_CL1165929.tar.md5
- Click on CSC and select GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALQ5.tar.md5
- Click Start to start flashing firmware. The phone will automatically reboot and you can unplug the device once you see a Samsung logo
- If Odin hangs or you get a FAIL message, disconnect the Galaxy S2 from the PC, close Odin, remove and re-insert battery. Then place the phone in Download Mode again and follow procedures from Step 7.
Congratulations... the XXLQ5 firmware based on Android 4.0.4 ICS is running on your Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100.
To contact the editor, e-mail: