Tour de France has just given Andre Greipel his second stage win, but the people's attention is diverted to news on doping allegations against the 7-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong.
Tour de France has just given Andre Greipel his second stage win, but the people’s attention is diverted to news on another round of doping allegations against the 7-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong.
Greipel has made two successive wins, overpowering Matt Goss, who displayed a winning form again as he appeared to be leading just metres away from the line.
As the Tour progresses, media reports on doping allegations are overshadowing the efforts of this year's peloton.
Here are five details that summarise the allegations against Lance Armstrong.
5. The Dutch paper De Telegraaf claimed Thursday that USADA (US Anti-Doping Agency) had suspended Jonathan Vaughters and four other former Armstrong teammates over doping issues.
4. Vaughters denied any of his team's riders would face six-month bans, saying racing 100 per cent clean is part of his team's core values. Asked whether he had testified against Armstrong, Vaughters refused to comment.
3. Armstrong has been the subject of doping accusations since his first Tour victory in 1999. At least 10 riders have reportedly testified against him since then.
2. Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf reports that veteran American rider George Hincapie, along with three other American riders have testified against Armstrong. Hincapie is a key lieutenant in the BMC team of the 2011 yellow jersey winner Cadel Evans. He did not comment directly on the Dutch report. Asked if he has spoken to Armstrong, Hincapie replied: "I haven't in a while. I'm sad he's going through this. He's done so many things for the sport. His accomplishments are incredible."
1. In his Twitter account, Armstrong shouted out: "This isn't about @usantidoping wanting to clean up cycling - rather it's just plain ol' selective prosecution that reeks of vendetta." Armstrong could be stripped of all seven of his Tour de France titles if he would be found guilty by USADA.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Selena's Bikini Body: How to Get the Toned Look in Two Easy Steps [PHOTOS & VIDEO]
- IN PHOTOS! A Picture of Sadness in Kristen Stewart as Robert Pattinson Celebrates 27th Birthday ALONE? [SLIDESHOW]
- Jaden Smith Clarifies Emancipation Reports with Dad Will Smith on TV Show ‘Ellen’ [PHOTOS AND VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Movie Casting: Chris Evans as Christian Grey [PHOTOS]