Tanzania World Heritage Site Gets Uranium Mine Project Nod from UNESCO
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 6, 2012 10:21 AM EST
A $400 million uranium mine development project proposed to be built in a world heritage game reserve in Tanzania has been given the go ahead by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee.
"The UNESCO World Heritage Committee has accepted Tanzania's request to make changes to the territory of the Selous Game Reserve to pave way for uranium mining," Amb. Khamis Kagasheki, Natural Resources and Tourism Minister, said in a statement.
To be built and operated by Australia-based miner Mantra Resources, the proposed uranium mine on the Selous Game reserve will give the Tanzanian coffers an annual gross turnover of at least $250 million for 15 years.
Declared a World Heritage Site in 1982, the Selous Game reserve spans more than 50,000 square kilometres. It is home to the largest population of elephants on the continent, as well as a large number of black rhinos, cheetahs, giraffes, hippos and crocodiles, plus grasslands and miombo forests. Its diverse landscape retains undisturbed biological and ecological processes.
In January 2011, Tanzania applied an appeal before UNESCO, asking for permission to change the boundaries of Selous Game Reserve, in light of mining uranium in the area as it claimed was crucial for funding development programs for the country as well as drive its economy.
"The area set aside for the project is hardly 0.8 per cent of the total area, about 200 square kilometres. The Selous Game Reserves covers a total area of 54,600 sq. km., or 21,100 sq mi, and has additional buffer zones," Amb. Kagasheki said.
The Selous uranium mine development project is expected to churn in some $5 million in annual fees versus the game reserve's current yearly income of only $500,000.
At least 54 million pounds of uranium oxide deposits are in Tanzania, government said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date