Film Fight: Legal Issues Between 'Fifty Shades of Grey' & 'Twilight'
By Diadem Pambid | July 3, 2012 4:14 PM EST
The "Fifty Shades of Grey" film is unsurprisingly surrounded by numerous questions, which includes who will be the director and who will the cast be. However, there is a more important question needing to be answered: will a court battle regarding the copyright issues be raised when the adaptation to the big screen gets a green light?
"E L James' erotic novel based on Twilight fan fiction features three books in its series, and many feel that they follow Stephanie Meyer's romantic vampire tomes almost exactly." reports Celebuzz about the controversial trilogy.
"50 Shades focuses on a recent college grad named Anastasia Steele; she enters into a dominant/submissive sexual relationship with a mysterious billionaire named Christian Grey," continues Celebuzz.
"Fifty Shades of Grey" is a 2011 erotic novel by E.L. James. It has sold 10 million copies worldwide, and has surpassed the "Harry Potter" series as the fastest-selling paperback of all time.
Celebuzz consulted an attorney to inquire about the possible copyright infringement court battles. He said that if any issues should be raised, it should have happened a long time ago.
"If there was an infringement on the copyright, or anything like that, out of the Twilight [books], when the Shades of Grey books came out, they would have stopped it at that point. So, as you move along and then take the book and put it down into a screenplay, by the time you've gotten to that point, that book is out there enough, and enough people have gotten it into the commerce and have seen it ... If anybody would have had an issue, it would have already happened."
The British erotic novel first started out as a fan fiction based on the "Twilight" novels, although after a thorough read "Fifty Shades" is nowhere near any of the "Twilight" saga.
Many celebrities have been linked to the British erotic novel, including those who read it such as Miley Cyrus, True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard and Ian Somerhalder from The Vampire Diaries. Somerhalder even expressed interest in playing the titular character, Christian Grey.
Whatever happens, fans will surely be lining up for the first day screening of "Fifty Shades."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fans' Speculation: Cersei Lannister As Regent
- Top 5 Best-Selling Young Adult Fiction Books For The Week Of Sept. 21, 2014 Including 'If I Stay' By Gayle Forman And ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ By John Green
- Pre-Order Booking Of ‘The Walking Dead’ Star Norman Reedus’ New Book ‘Thanks For All The Niceness’ Is On
- Next ‘Game of Thrones’ Book Releasing Soon
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister, Jorah Mormont & Arya Stark In Braavos
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone