Microsoft Writes Off $6.3B For aQuantive Takeover
By David Zielenziger | July 3, 2012 6:57 AM EST
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, said it would take a $6.2 billion onetime charge to write off its 2007 acquisition of aQuantive, an online advertising agency.
The Redmond, Wash., company paid nearly $6.3 billion for the ad company, so the writeoff indicates the acquisition has been a disaster.
The charge will be for goodwill in Microsoft's Online Services division, which also includes Bing, the No. 2 search engine. The company said Bing's revenue and share has been growing.
Bing handles many of the search and mechanical functions of Yahoo (Nasdaq: YHOO), the No. 3 search engine, in Sunnyvale, Calif.
The company announced the writeoff just after it closed fiscal 2012 on Saturday. It announced the charge as part of an annual goodwill impairment review of its operations.
In accounting practices, goodwill usually means the value of a company over the value of its assets. Acquirers frequently overpay for companies for fear they will be outbid and lose an opportunity.
Shares of Microsoft fell 13 cents after the close Monday to $30.43, valuing Microsoft around $256.7 billion. The company is expected to announce fourth-quarter results on July 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop