Microsoft Writes Off $6.3B For aQuantive Takeover
By David Zielenziger | July 3, 2012 6:57 AM EST
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, said it would take a $6.2 billion onetime charge to write off its 2007 acquisition of aQuantive, an online advertising agency.
The Redmond, Wash., company paid nearly $6.3 billion for the ad company, so the writeoff indicates the acquisition has been a disaster.
The charge will be for goodwill in Microsoft's Online Services division, which also includes Bing, the No. 2 search engine. The company said Bing's revenue and share has been growing.
Bing handles many of the search and mechanical functions of Yahoo (Nasdaq: YHOO), the No. 3 search engine, in Sunnyvale, Calif.
The company announced the writeoff just after it closed fiscal 2012 on Saturday. It announced the charge as part of an annual goodwill impairment review of its operations.
In accounting practices, goodwill usually means the value of a company over the value of its assets. Acquirers frequently overpay for companies for fear they will be outbid and lose an opportunity.
Shares of Microsoft fell 13 cents after the close Monday to $30.43, valuing Microsoft around $256.7 billion. The company is expected to announce fourth-quarter results on July 19.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports