Katie Holmes has inadvertently put a spotlight on the subject of Scientology as unconfirmed reports indicate the religion is a major factor in the failure of her marriage to Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise.
Actress Katie Holmes arrives at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles September 18, 2011.
"Watch Katie Holmes and Scientology story develop. Something creepy, maybe even evil, about these people," Murdoch tweeted.
Reports indicate Holmes is seeking sole legal custody and "primary residential custody" of their 6-year-old daughter Suri.
Citing unnamed sources, TMZ reported Scientology was "primarily" the reason for the Cruise-Holmes split. Holmes allegedly filed for divorce "fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church."
Here are five main questions among outsiders about the subject of Scientology:
1. What is Scientology, really? How did Katie Holmes understand it, and what convinced her to sign up for it? (Was the decision made all "in the name of love?")
2. Why are famous people, i.e. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, drawn to Scientology? How does the Church relate to these people's hectic glamour lives?
3. How do Scientologists make marriage vows? What do they say in lieu of "in sickness and in health?"
4. How do Scientologists raise children? Is there is any truth to reports that Holmes wants Suri to be free from the influences of Scientology at such an impressionable age?
5. In a nutshell, what does Scientology say about ways in which to live one's life? There are Christians and non-Christians in the basic picture of those lost in the number of religions in the world.
In an old YouTube video, viewed by over 8 million Web users, Tom Cruise is believed to be speaking about Scientologists:
"So it's our responsibility to... educate. Create the new reality, you know, we have that responsibility to say hey, this is the way it should be done, because we do it this way and people are actually getting better."
These questions may or may not be answered as the Cruise-Holmes split continues to unfold in news outlets.
"(T)he Church of Scientology is not following Katie or conducting surveillance on her in the wake of her divorce with Tom Cruise," TMZ reported Gary Soter, lawyer for the Church, as saying.
Holmes, who was raised a Roman Catholic, got exposed to Scientology at 26, when she began dating Cruise. Five years into the marriage, she calls it quits with her husband and his religion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Australia Bids Adieu to Adam Spencer's Mornings on ABC's "702 Breakfast" Show [PHOTOS]
- SEE PHOTOS! Eva Longoria Wears No Panties at Cannes 2013, Revealed in Embarrassing Wardrobe Malfunction [SLIDESHOW]
- Top 10 Hottest Celebrities with Shocking Weight Loss (And Find Out Their Secrets!) [PHOTOS]
- Demi Lovato Snapped Getting Flirty with The X-Factor Boss, Simon Cowell? [PHOTOS]