#ExilePitbull Trying To Send 'Back In Time' Rapper Pitbull To Alaska Walmart
By Jeff Stone | July 1, 2012 3:23 AM EST
He's always been more of a hypeman than an actual hip hop artist, so it's fitting that likable hip hop performing artist Pitbull has agreed to be a part of a promotion held by Walmart and Sheets-brand Energy Strips. Pitbull, perhaps best known for the songs "Back in Time" and the Jennifer Lopez collaboration "On The Floor," has agreed to visit whichever Walmart store in the United States receives the most "Likes" on Facebook. Unfortunately for him, the Internet is rallying to send him to a remote part of Alaska.
At the risk of disappointing preteen girls all over the nation, David Thorpe and Jon Hendren of the website Something Awful have organized a plan that drives people to "Like" the official Facebook page of the Walmart in Kodiak, Alaska. If you search "Walmart Kodiak Alaska" on Google Maps, it takes eleven clicks to zoom out far enough to see Canada and thirteen to see California. Pitbull is probably thrilled the possibility exists for him to do a promotion at a store that sells "bear repellant, snow shoes, [and] hunting gear" (via Reddit).
As of the 2010 census, the population of Kodiak was 6,130 people. So far, the Facebook page in question has over 20,000 users who have clicked "Like." The Google Images of Kodiak are beautiful, but it's hard to picture the mall-rapper excited to check out grizzly bears and the locale's fishing community.
The reaction on social media has been mostly along the lines of "lol." Brandon Turley, commenting on the Facebook page, said, "Pitbull says there's nothing like the Miami Heat. That's true, but there's also nothing like the Kodiak cold!"
Others have said things like "Why do you hate Pitbull so much?" To which Thorpe responded with "I don't hate Pitbull, I think he'll have a wonderful time in Alaska." Last night, Thorpe tweeted "Kodiak is ahead by a country mile." The Twitter hash tag #ExilePitbull is the best way to follow the contest, which end July 15th.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]