‘Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Sea of Monsters’: The Next Hunger Games?
By Diadem Pambid | June 28, 2012 7:46 PM EST
As "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" enters pre-production, Percy Jackson and his cast of gods and goddesses have started filming and is set to release at an earlier date than the futuristic dystopian-themed movie.
The sequel to 2010's "Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief," will once again cast Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth Chase, Brandon T. Jackson as the satyr Grover Underwood, and Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson.
Logan Lerman is the star of another book to movie adaptation of the critically acclaimed "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Charles Chbosky, wherein he costars with Emma Watson of "Harry Potter" fame.
Although "The Hunger Games" grossed triple in the opening weekend alone of what "Percy Jackson" grossed worldwide, it can still be anybody's game, given the names attached to the sequel.
Thor Fredenthal is helming the sequel, whose previous works includes "Diary of a Wimpy Kid." Chris Columbus, the director for the first "Percy Jackson" movie is set to produce. However, Christopher Columbus is not the only name Percy Jackson fans should watch out for.
"Nathan Fillion will play Hermes, father to antagonist Luke (Jake Abel)," reports JoBlo about the recently revealed cast member. Fillion is best known for his role opposite Stana Katic in "Castle" and the short-lived sci-fi series "Firefly."
Sean Bean is also slated to play Zeus in the movie, while Stanley Tucci plays Dionysius. Sean Bean played the morally upright Ned Stark in the first season of the medieval fantasy hit "Game of Thrones" while Stanley Tucci played the loudmouth master of ceremonies Caesar Flickerman in "The Hunger Games."
Other actors include Missi Pyle from "The Artist," Mary Birdsong from "The Descendants" and Yvette Nicole Brown of "Community" fame.
On the other hand, "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" has all the lead actors reprising their roles including Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawethorne, Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark, while Jena Malone from Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch" is rumored to join in as Johanna Mason.
Nobody is certain if Percy Jackson can topple Katniss Everdeen, but one this is for certain: this will be a blockbuster bout that's worth the wait.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports