‘Kids React To’ Viral Videos: Fine Bros. and Kids who Spoke on NSW Bullying Get an Emmy [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | June 28, 2012 3:47 PM EST
Benny and Rafi Fine won the Emmy for best viral video series on June 23 for their "Kids React To" YouTube series. The “Best Viral Video Series Award” was given in cooperation with AOL.
The Fine brothers are the creative duo behind YouTube account user "TheFineBros." They have 1.4 million subscribers who have registered nearly 300 million views since 2007.
The "Kids React To" series features kids and teens reacting to viral videos, in a manner that is reminiscent of 'Kids Say the Darndest Things.'
One of their hit videos features the kids' perspective on bullying. The kids were made to watch an actual bullying clip that was taken at a New South Wales school in March last year. The video, now with nearly three million views, was uploaded in October, the "National Bullying Prevention Month."
The 'Kids React To' series is typically entertaining and funny, with expressive and articulate kids reacting to pop culture icons, like Harry Potter and other modern-day popular figures. At times, however, the videos the kids react to border on deeply sensitive issues, such as bullying.
Kids react to bullying
The kids appear to be visibly shocked and affected by the bullying clip playing in front of them. They admit to being bullied in the past. They have different views on how the bullied could have reacted during the incident. They also discussed cyberbullying.
"That was some pretty serious bullying," said Jake, 12 years old.
"They're supposed to tell the teacher. Tell the principal. Tell someone," said 9-yr-old Marlhy, who insists the bullied kid should not fight back.
Kids React: Message to bullies
"(Your) family might be dysfunctional, but everything should be okay when you go to school. That should be your happy place. You shouldn't be picking on other people," said Lia, 14.
"Dude that kid who told the story is great! It is very smart and eloquent! The koala girl has a very good opinion to everything. I mean all those kids are faboulous, makes think we have a good future asides (sic)" - 665Iron
"I want everybody to remember this video when they see somebody getting bullied, because all the advice given on here was good advice! Especially the one that said "Trick Question!" to the 'should you fight back question!' You have the right to fight back, but you should also get an adult involved, especially of you aren't the one being bullied!" - KlaineLover1125
From YouTube to TV
The Fine brothers expressed confidence in the kids' ability to react sensibly to the more serious issues. In fact, they are now looking into the possibility of bringing their videos to the television, Mashable reported.
"We'd love for a TV version to bring people of all ages together to watch a show that is meaningful and will get people talking and embracing having opinions and communication with one another, which we feel is important in entertainment today," Rafi told Mashable.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon