'The Computer Says No' to Older Borrowers
By Broker News | June 27, 2012 10:55 AM EST
Brokers have flocked to the Austaralian Broker Online forum to detail numerous experiences of older borrowers being knocked back by the banks.
John Robbo was quick to weigh in, saying the problem "badly needs looking at".
"Classic example is a client of mine who is 56 and has a very high salary. Lives in a 9 bedroom 5 bathroom home in Sydney. Property is worth $2.7M and wants a $1.1m refinance. Nobody will do it," he explained.
"He wants to sell the home on or before retirement as it is massive and far too big for two retirees - but all lenders say that selling the property is unacceptable - even though he would have to sell the property if it was unencumbered because of its size. This policy is ridiculous!"
Despite other similar cases coming to light, SteveOz disagreed, saying "it's just not that simple".
"Given today's environment where people are unable to take responsibility for their actions and change their minds like the weather here in Melbourne, you can't just take a clients undertaking that they will 'sell' their property upon retirement if they can't afford the repayments. You've basically put them into hardship anyway!" he said.
However, this was enough to make some brokers' blood boil - as Judy West exclaimed.
"We certainly live in 'Nannysville' in Australia where we treat anyone over the age of 55 (the new 75) as incompetents," she said.
BJ detailed his understanding, which included the longevity risk of a client, and the lack of desire on the part of the bank to be left holding a physical property asset.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- Jennifer Lawrence Buys A New Bachelorette Pad In Beverly Hills
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Lamudi’s Top 5 Tourist Close-To-Nature Destinations In The Philippines
- 3 Key Changes The Real Estate Industry Is Expecting With ASEAN Integration In 2015
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists